Blue spotted salamander behavior

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Country
United States
For the past several years, I've kept a small group of blue spotteds an a planted vivarium in my basement. I rarely see them. Even at night, if they are out, they are hard to find because my plank is so heavily planted. So my routine is to mist them, feed them, and move on to the next task.
For the past three weeks or so, though, I've seen them hanging around in the small water dish at night. I don't see any specific activity, just the salamanders sitting in the water. This is new behavior for them. They don't need to do it for hydration, as I keep the enclosure sufficiently damp.The temp in their enclosure is about 60f.
Any thoughts on this?
I think it is unlikely that they would breed without going through a very cold winter dormancy, as they would in the wild. But, it is worth noting, that my marbled newts exhibit the exact same behavior when they are ready to enter the water for breeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back