Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bleeding gill & not eating

Lynzi

Reaction score
We have had our axolotl for over a year. Last week I feed him an earth worm (he eats 1 every other day, if I feed him daily he leaves the worms) I get the worms from a local tackle shop who says there's no pesticides used where they get the worms. As soon as he ate it he started to bleed from one of his gills. Before this incident everything was normal. His tank was full of blood and I didn't know what to do. The bleeding stopped after a few minutes. Since his tank was red with blood I did about a 25% water change, I know this is more than recommended but his water was red, and I was trying to reduce the blood. While I was cleaning the tank he threw up his worm. He's never done this before but I also never clean his tank right after a feeding.

His water parameters were fine prior to this incident but after it wasn't. I don't know if this is from the blood or if it's my fault for changing so much water. The day after the bleeding levels were:

pH: 7
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm
Nitrate: 160ppm

I continued with small water changes daily trying to remove the pink hue in the water from the blood, and hopefully to correct the water parameters.

Today the levels are:

pH: 7
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 80ppm

I have never used chemicals to correct for nitrate, I think maybe I should this time, can I use anything recommended at the local pet store or do I need something specific for axolotls?

He has not eaten anything since this day and it's been over a week. I don't know what to do. He seems fine aside from not eating, and the one gill which was bleeding is turned forward but the other 5 gills go back like they always did. I don't really want to fridge him unless it's necessary. I sometimes feed him axolotl pellets I bought from the breeder but he's not eating those either.

He (sorry I call it a he but I don't actually know what sex our axolotl is) is alone in a 10 gallon tank with 2 rocks, a few fake plants and a tube decoration. When he was smaller I used to feed him brine shrimp and blood worms (both from frozen). These were messy so we would keep a few ghost shrimp in the tank to clean the mess. They never lasted long as spike (that's his name) would eat them, we haven't had any ghost shrimp since March when we started feeding him earth worms as there was no leftover food for the shrimp. There is a small filter in his tank and I keep a loufa in front of the water flow to reduce the water water movement in the tank.

Sorry for such a long entry, but I wanted to make sure you had all the information I could give you.

I appreciate any advice you can give, thank you

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the same problem as you. My axie, Egg, cut his gill 4 days ago and stopped eating after I put this medicine called melafix by API into his tank to preserve his cut from fungus, bacteria, etc... I don't know how to make him eat so... You axie should be eating about 2-3 earthworms every other day or 1 night crawler. I feed my axies every day so they can be fat. Also, Seachum Prim helps get rid of nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia and acts as a dechlorinator for you tank. Also, if your axie hasn't been eating for over a week, that's a big problem. You need to call a local pet store with info about you axie. If this continues, your axie will starve of starvation. I hope mine dosnt go on like yours. Hope for the best of us:uhoh:

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
I found out how to fix our problems. What's your temp? If it over 63, this can cause axies to not eat since it is getting warmer this time of year(summer). Add bags of frozen water( ice) into your tank to cool it. Also, feed your axie FROZEN tubifex worms to help your axies get back into eating. Change your carbon in your filter. Hope this helps.

Lynzi

Reaction score
Thank you for responding, the temperature in his tank has not gone over 20 c which is about 67. I will try adding some cold water to bring the temperature down. He still hasn't eaten anything and I've offered him a worm every day, it's been 12 days since he last ate.

Even when he is healthy he won't eat more than one worm every other day, the worms we get here are big and if I give him one every day he just leaves them in the tank. He's fat so I normally don't worry.

But this time I am very worried, 12 days is crazy long to not eat.

I have been to 3 local fish stores and no one seems to know anything about axolotls.

Axolottie

Reaction score
I recommend tubbing him if you aren't already. Fridging, if done correctly doesn't stress nor harm an axolottie so it's not a bad idea since it'll slow down his metabolism and help him heal. I do recommend trying a tea bath or almond leaves to prevent fungus from getting on his gills if it is an open sore.
I don't recommend using too many chemicals for axies as they are sensitive. You could introduce some live bacteria to your tank with the hopes they bring the nitrate down, but I believe your tank will return to normal on its own or with 1 or 2 water changes.

Lynzi

Reaction score
How long do I keep him in the fridge? How do you do this tea bath you mentioned? I have also read about salt baths, would you recommend tea over salt and why?

He's really starting to look pale his gills are barely even pink anymore. I did a 10% water change this morning and tossed in a bit of treated ice water (just with the chlorine remover). The temperature is down to about 18 c in his tank.

Also I usually take the plants out and scrub the bottom of the tank to get the little bits of dirt up, but I haven't done that in 2 weeks as it usually freaks him out a bit when I stick my hand in move the water around while cleaning, I don't want to upset him. I also don't want to take the plants out as I believe that is where the good bacteria is. I sucked up everything I could with his turkey baster, but it's just not as clean looking as normal.

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Hello again,

Salt baths are for severe injuries or problems with your axie (I think). Are your axies turning different colors like yellow because mine are. If your axie is turning different colors, it can be due to the temperature since it is super hot in California(I don't care if axies are illegal here). If your axies frills are white, that just means no blood is pumping through them. My axies frills are pale too because he is still healing. My axie hasn't eaten for a week and is slow and droopy but is still fat. Also, I am doing more readership on fringing right now so I'll be back in an hour or less. Tell me if you find more information and hope your axie and my axie get better >{°o°}<

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Back again,

Fridging an axie can help recovery from wounds become quicker, unblock constipation, and slows metabolism. If your axie is injured badly, salt baths are the way to go because they are more efficient than tea baths which are less effective. I will send a link for fridging (it's at the bottom). Fridging will make your axie not eat but, I think it might help mine be better in temperature so he's not getting a heat stroke, will restore my axies wounds, and help him if he's constipated because I see no poop. Just fridge you axie or call the store called Seirra Aquatics( their number is 775-825-4215). They have really good information on how to treat your axie since they sell a lot of them. Call from 7:00am to 6:00 pm cause that's when their open.

Here's the link to fridging but, I'll call first thing tomorrow to see if fridging is the right thing to do with my axie,

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html

Best of luck for us :). Also, am I being helpful or sending too many messages and being annoying? Thanks

Lynzi

Reaction score
I appreciate your support, so no you are not annoying!

I think I'm going to try fridging as I don't want to wait any longer. It's funny because his gills look okay now, it's just curled forward, which apparently if all the gills are forward is a sign of stress but only his one gill is forward.

I'll let you know how it goes, will you let me know tomorrow what they say about yours so I know if maybe I'm doing the right thing?

Thank you

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Hello, it is tomorrow.

I have found information that retains to my axolotls. My axies are dis-colorated which make signs of that I need more beneficial bacteria. Also, it isn't cold enough in my tank since the tank is 68F. Also, My Ph is off and that is a sign of not eating. My axies need API quick start and a aquarium buffer that lowers my ph to 7.5. Btw curled hills are a sign of too much water flow or disturbed/ moving water in your tank. Also, my axie is constipated since there is no sign of poop. Check you water levels for problems and check your temp. Fridging isn't going to do me good. My tank isn't fully cycled so, I am off to fix my tank. Also, can you tell me more about your axies problem wit pics and water levels that were taken recently. Thanks

Lynzi

Reaction score
I'm so embarrassed by these pics he's so skinny, he was always so chubby before.

See how just the one gill is forward, that's the one that was bleeding 2 weeks ago (left side top gill). The black spots on his gills have been there since we got him, they never change or grow so as far as I can tell they are just part of his natural colouring.

I have good news though, I left a worm in his tank last night, which I don't normally do, if he doesn't eat it after about an hour I fish it out as I don't want it to die in there but I left it and when I got home from work today it was gone!!!!

I was totally going to fridge him yesterday but ran short on time, looks like that might have been a good thing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1273.jpg
    IMG_1273.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 300

Lynzi

Reaction score
Tank parameters:

pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: still really high, over 80ppm
Temperature: 20c or 68 (I'll add some ice)

I know they say 20 is a bit warmer than it should be, it should be between 16-18 but again his tank is always around 20 if it gets any warmer than that I always add ice, but I just can't seem to sustain anything less than 20 for long periods of time, but it's never seemed to affect him in the year plus we have owned him.

Have yours eaten yet?

Ours was constipated once before and we just kept adding ice to his tank every few hours over a weekend and ensured the temperature didn't get over 17c after 2 days he pooped! Even not eating spike pooped twice this week, small ones but still there.

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
I am sorry I haven't responded.

Your axies nitrate is way too high. I found my ph is too high at 8.2! So, I added some bacteria to increase the collection of bad bacteria and added in some stuff that helps lower my ph. Your ph is a little on the low side. You need to get it around 7.4-7.6 for your axies likng. My other levels of water are fine. My axies gills has turned pale but still is fat. I can't leave a worm. In my tank because my other axie, Sausage, will eat it. He swam like crazy because he got scared, so that means my axies are stressed. There has been a massive heat wave this week over here causing my tank to be at 72F or 21C (I think). Fridging isn't the way to go. My axie hasn't axie and it's been 9 days. My axie now is small compared to my other one who is a 1/2 inch longer. Oh also, until you fix your water levels, your axie is unlikley to eat, Do a 30 percent water change and fix your levels. Also, I am going to try to leave a worm in the tank too. I have been putting bottles of water like craz into my tank. Outside right now is 109F for me( I don't know Celsius). Guess this is why they banned axies from here. Tell me if you find any other info for both our axies. Mine needs help.

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Also, can you believe it? 89 Veiws! So many people but 3 responded. So selfish people, can't help with one problem but has the time to view lol

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Also here's my axie, do you see something wrong with him(he's pale because it's hot and he's stressed). Also, he's so skinny. I am kinda embareded. Ps. I don't work because I am a kid and I am busy through the day so, I can't really help him that much. Pps. My other axie Sausage, stole my sick axie, Egg's, worm. So selfish.

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 453
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 664

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Hello, to 11:24 over here. MY AXIE ATE A WORM. So proud of him. He nipped my other axie though.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Your temps too high as are your nitrate levels. Axolotls kept in optimal conditions don't get sick too often, this is not a coincidence. Get your care right and your axolotl should be ok

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Your temps too high as are your nitrate levels. Axolotls kept in optimal conditions don't get sick too often, this is not a coincidence. Get your care right and your axolotl should be ok

Can you help me with mine? My axie hasn't eaten for 13 days and he's gotten skinny. My temp is off which is causing my axie to suffer. How do I get him to eat? He looks a little off to because he's pale. Help?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Can you help me with mine? My axie hasn't eaten for 13 days and he's gotten skinny. My temp is off which is causing my axie to suffer. How do I get him to eat? He looks a little off to because he's pale. Help?

Get the temp right and it will prob be ok

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1