Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Felicitous Salutations

Kaisebon

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Brandon, and I am a High School student from Alberta. For perhaps years I've been quite fond of axolotls. Then a little over a month ago during my summer holidays an event reminded me of them. Thenceforth I have been reading about axolotls daily. Less than a week before the conclusion of the holidays, my mother asked me what I wish for my birthday (which is rather soon), and then it occurred to me that I actually have been yearning for an axolotl all of this time. I have already measured my dresser due to curiosity's sake and have read how to care for them. Perhaps I simply didn't expect one this soon.

Anywho, I've discovered this forums as a result of John Clare's Axolotl website constantly referring to this website during my research. Perhaps I should have made him my referrer? But it's too late now.

I do not possess any axolotls at the present. Yesterday my family visited PetSmart for an aquarium and whatnot and installed it the same night. The lady who assisted us too serendipitously possessed an axolotl and assisted us with suggestions. She recommended adding 19¢ fish in right away as guinea pigs, despite the lack of water aging. She said that once we possess an axolotl (though I intend to purchase two) that we could dispose of them if our axolotl's a baby. However, now that I possess them, I doubt that I could have the heart to simply kill them. Therefore I'll be also acquiring a divider to prevent the fish from nipping at my impending axolotls' gills whilst keeping them alive.

The lady also recommended sand opposed to gravel because even if the gravel is large enough to not be ingested, there are still the occasional tiny ones added into the mixture that could. As a result of PetSmart not possessing any sand nor live plants that I intend to add, the tank is quite boresome at the moment. I'll be visiting Big Al's later on today for more equipment and tank accessories. Perhaps there will be axolotls there as well that I could purchase once my water finishes aging.

I have included a picture attachment of the tank. I'll have to remember to disable the flash feature in the future for the fishes' sake. =S

attachment.php

Please, any suggestions prior to the obtaining of my axolotls would be utmost appreciated (axolotl or forums related). I have already read quite a bit about them, but I can never be informed too many times.

P.S. I have added a substance into the water that came with the starter package. It claims to remove chlorine, chloramines, and ammonia from tap water. Would this speed up the aging process? Must I still wait for the two whole weeks before adding my axolotls (assuming it is available before then)?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and what a great first post.
It sounds like you struck gold with the lady in Petsmart. Her advice was unusually good.
Unfortunately I can't view your attachment, so I am unable to comment on what you have done so far. Generally axolotl require cool water below 20 degrees, so a thermometer is useful to monitor this. They like plenty of cover, be it heavily planted or at least two hides. Have you decided what you are aiming to feed them ? Ideally earthworms are the best food source for them. A water test kit is also needed, this is to check your readings for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.
The substance you added to the water, sounds like de-chlorinator. You should use this when ever you do water changes or top ups with any new water, I don't think it will do anything to speed up the cycling of your new tank. If you get your axolotl before the tank is cycled, you will need to do daily 10-20 % water changes, plus tests to make sure the ammonia does not rise dangerously.
I am looking forward to seeing your new additions when they arrive.:D

Kaisebon

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and what a great first post.
It sounds like you struck gold with the lady in Petsmart. Her advice was unusually good.
Unfortunately I can't view your attachment, so I am unable to comment on what you have done so far. Generally axolotl require cool water below 20 degrees, so a thermometer is useful to monitor this. They like plenty of cover, be it heavily planted or at least two hides. Have you decided what you are aiming to feed them ? Ideally earthworms are the best food source for them. A water test kit is also needed, this is to check your readings for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.
The substance you added to the water, sounds like de-chlorinator. You should use this when ever you do water changes or top ups with any new water, I don't think it will do anything to speed up the cycling of your new tank. If you get your axolotl before the tank is cycled, you will need to do daily 10-20 % water changes, plus tests to make sure the ammonia does not rise dangerously.
I am looking forward to seeing your new additions when they arrive.:D

Thank you, Julia. I've changed the attachment to a picture within the post instead. If you are unable to view it, I've posted it into my gallery. I have compiled a list of items that I'll require once I visit Big Al's later on today. I've read that a bucket used exclusively for one's aquarium must be used for filling the tank. Whilst my family assisted me with filling the tank, we utilised normal kitchen containers for bringing in the water. Will this make a difference with the water's quality? I'll ensure to purchase a more convenient bucket, of course.

Thank you again. I'll ensure to add to my gallery as my tank upgrades and my axolotls progress. :happy:

P.S. I have not determined what I'll be feeding my axolotls yet. My father suggested living creatures so that the axolotl would have to move around in order to feed (thus exercise) whilst I would also like to hand feed them. I'll also ask the pet store owner so that the food could be purchased locally.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1