Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chilled Buzzing?

BlondeandTired

Reaction score
Hello, and I would like to first apologize if this is not in the correct area, I'm unfamiliar with how the forum is set up.
Now to my problem, I have a semi-juvenile (he is 7-8 inches from 3-4 inches when I got him) axolotl that I've had for a little over a month, and he is in a 20L gallon tank, with a Fluval 206 canister filter and a Coralife 1/10 HP chiller attached to it, and everything has been running fine up until this morning. I woke up quite early to a very large buzzing/ vibrating noise coming from the chiller, which is generally just a dull hum, as I also have a air purifier on high in my room.
The chiller has adequate space for airflow, and the filter provides enough flow to meet just a smidge above the minimum requirements for GPH flowing through the chiller (not optimal, and I would prefer higher, but it is adequate), and I have also taken a can of compressed air and blown the dust out of the chiller's air filter, as well as just a general blow into the chiller's body as to just ensure that nothing was stuck in there, rattling against anything else.

My tank has sand substrate, and all water that goes into the chiller goes through the filter before it enters the chiller, and the filter was cleaned a week ago, with no problems until today.

I've emailed Coralife and am waiting on a response but was wondering if any of the wonderfully knowledgeable people here had any advice to give?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1