Non- toxic/ poisonous salamanders?

blatzterbate

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would like to have a salamander in my tank. It is a 40 gallon tank, with a blue murron crayfish. He's about 2-3" long. I'm afraid that if I buy any old salamander, he'll eat it and die. Does anyone know of some non-toxic/poisonous salamanders I could put in with him? Preferably not really rare or expensive ones.

It's not a good idea to put aney salamanders with a crayfish and aney salamander big enough to put with it would eat him.

I suppose I can't understand why you would want to introduce a salamander at all. You clearly recognize that the crayfish might kill and eat the salamander. And you also realize that the salamander could kill the crayfish by being toxic. So why put a salamander in at all?

Most salamanders have some form of biological defense. There have been toxicity studies done to measure the number of mice that can be killed by a particular salamander, but it would be hard to say what would be toxic to a crayfish.
See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/toxin2.shtml

bad idea anyway with or without toxins

Yes, I know those things. Which is why I'm looking for a NON-TOXIC one, so if my crayfish happens to eat it, then they won't both die. After I had gotten a list, I would research to find out which one spends the most time out of water, then make a platform for 1/3 of the tank (it's over 3 feet long). I will leave some rocks jutting out away from the platform, so if the crayfish wants to climb out it can, and I know they can swim, but I think if it could just climb up, then there's less of a chance it will bother swimming up to the platform. I will leave it in for a few days, watching carefully. I don't work or have school, so I would be home almost all the time and able to keep an eye on things. The crayfish would have many caves and hidding places, and the salamander would have its land, so there shouldn't be much interaction. I will have another basic tank set up on stand by if something should happen, so I can remove the salamander right away. I THINK I have it pretty well planned out, sorry if you don't think so.

do you happen to have a ferret, you could put a rabbit in with it to see what happens.

I THINK I have it pretty well planned out, sorry if you don't think so.

Unless I'm missing something here you seem to be aware that introducing the two animals will cause them undue stress and likely injuries and death. But your going to do it anyway.

We're all quite fond of Salamanders around here, frankly I dont think you going to get the kind of help your looking for. Sorry, but its bad a bad idea, probably for both animals. If you want a sal(and nothing wrong with that at all) and you have another tank then use the other tank.

You're all pretentious *******s. All I asked was if someone knew of any non-toxic salamanders. I did NOT ask for preaching. What I do with said salamanders is none of your business. I like salamanders as much as the next guy, and I thought it would be cool to have a salamander and a crayfish in the same big tank. I understood the risk involved. There was no need for all that bull****. Don't bother posting any more snide comments, I'm not checking it. **** your site.

If you're asking us for advice, then I think it IS our business. If you liked salamanders as much as the next guy, you wouldn't be like "oh well, it'll get eaten". Have a nice day!

If you're asking us for advice, then I think it IS our business. If you liked salamanders as much as the next guy, you wouldn't be like "oh well, it'll get eaten". Have a nice day!

Couldnt have put it better.
I for one wont be loosing sleep.

You're all pretentious *******s. All I asked was if someone knew of any non-toxic salamanders. I did NOT ask for preaching. What I do with said salamanders is none of your business. I like salamanders as much as the next guy, and I thought it would be cool to have a salamander and a crayfish in the same big tank. I understood the risk involved. There was no need for all that bull****. Don't bother posting any more snide comments, I'm not checking it. **** your site.
Thats like putting you in a cage with a reformed serial killer who may or may not masscre you.
wouldnt like it huh.

Drop it folks. Unless the original poster decides to come back and make additional comments the point has been made. Let this thread die.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back