Aggressive juvenile Triturus karelinii

Turtleben90

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my juvenile T. karelinii newts suddenly got aggressive toward his tankmates. This comes one day after I started feeding them frozen bloodworms - I don't know if there is any connection.

He is not any larger than the other newts and there is no food still present in the aquarium. I just notice that every time another newt crosses his path, he would snap at them (at the toes, head, and mid-body section).

I have him separated for now, but do you have any suggestions for reintroducing him?

*The newts are about 3.5 inches.. and I cannot tell yet if they are male/female.

Thanks!

Feed that one more so it's not so hungry. Feed them chopped garden worms. They are more filling. That is what I did with mine. Your animals are getting close in size to sex soon. The males will show a raised line where the crest will be in a month or two.

This comes one day after I started feeding them frozen bloodworms - I don't know if there is any connection.

What (and how) did you feed them previously?

I that aggression mainly occurs when they can see each other feeding. You can minimise this by feeding them small items (so they swallow them before any of the others see they're eating), feeding in several places at once (so they don't all gather in one place and fight over the food), feeding them individually (there won't be any fighting if they've all got a worm in their mouth), and/or separating them when feeding.

I was feeding them live black worms. I always try to feed them when they are apart and not crammed in one corner

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back