Alpine and smooth newts; earliest signs of sex?

Jantje Beton

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello all,

I was wondering when it comes to smooth newts and alpine newts what are the earliest signs of sexual maturity? Like, when can you see one becomes a male or female? Is it just the crest? Or could a difference in size at a young age suggest anything? Also, after alpines succeed the larvae stadium and they become juveniles, the place where the crest is supposed to grow there is a copper-coloured hollow stripe. For one of them this stripe is fading. Could that mean something? They're about 6.5 ~ 7cm.

I got a couple of alpines and smooths. I wanna release some of them in the wild, but I'd also like to keep some in my pond, a male and female preferrably.

Hi Jantje!
I think that you can distinguish the sexes rather soon in alpine newts. In the second year - depending on the hibernation ( How long was it? Did they hibernate at all?), you can see the forming crest as a copper-dark line along the back. The females just have a copper-coloured dot in their neck. Some males develope the crest very fast, others don't. Just be a little patient.
Cheers!
Tom

they didn't go into hibernation. I think all of them have a copper coloured stripe along the back. The great crested newts had that too (all of the six I have), but in the end only 3 of them became male.

Anyway, here's a pic. Maybe you can see something male or female characteristic?

file.php

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back