Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Member of Skye Axolotl Family

skyeaxolotls

Reaction score
I just added a new baby to my axolotl tank. Just informed s/he is a melanoid albino... name it Marble. So lovely just like my white albino, Snow.

Attachments

• 12465868_1688154888096819_8211663877190763716_o.jpg
    12465868_1688154888096819_8211663877190763716_o.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 289

Gina Viglietti

Reaction score
How beautiful, never seen a melanoid albino before. Are you a breeder? :)

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

skyeaxolotls

Reaction score
Hi,

I know melanoid albinos are gorgeous. I'm not a breeder yet but that's the plan. For now, I do buy and sell and raise axies from eggs. I currently have 4 Melanoid Albinos that I'm selling if you're interested. :)

Gina Viglietti

Reaction score
I would love to order a couple from you, but unfortunately I live in Cape Town, South Africa >_<

Here it's legal to keep axolotls as pets, but not to sell them or make money off them in any way due to the CITES environmental laws regarding them. Axolotls are in a grey area in our local laws ( I think because a lot of people don't actally know what they are!) I got mine through my sister who is studying at the Evolutionary Sciences Institute in Johannesburg. She cares for four axies which reside at the Institute. I really would love to become a breeder too one day if it's possible :D

The two of us have been chatting to people to see if we can find a way get some more into the country legally, but it seems it's only possible through an avenue of scientific research which is understandable. I'm not sure how I'd feel seeing axies in pet stores, I've heard some bad stories abroad.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

skyeaxolotls

Reaction score
Aww I see. Well I hope you do find a way to be able to buy some axies. I usually just sell locally around here in New York and ship sometimes but not sure how it works when it comes to shipping internationally. I hope you find some axies though. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1