UK Breeding season.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I was just wondering if anybody here in the UK has noticed any Lissotriton or Triturus in their garden ponds yet? I adopted some adult L. vulgaris last spring who's pond was being filled in and really hope they come back this year, but I haven't seen anything in the nature pond yet.

I picked up a common toad last night that was moving across the road and helped him cross safely. so i would have thought the newts would be on their way.

I'll have a look in the pond tomorrow night and report back if i see anything

Lee

I was just wondering if anybody here in the UK has noticed any Lissotriton or Triturus in their garden ponds yet? I adopted some adult L. vulgaris last spring who's pond was being filled in and really hope they come back this year, but I haven't seen anything in the nature pond yet.
I don't know about the UK, but there are some male L. vulgaris on the go in Ireland. I've often seen them in ponds in February in previous years too if the weather has been mild. I'd imagine the southern parts of Britain must be experiencing similar at least?

My T.cristatus have been outside over winter, males are cresting up but doubt they will breed in the next few weeks.

I put dobro and Cristatus in my tank in the dining room a month ago . 2 animals grew crests now the crests have gone no eggs ?

Palmate newts arent going yet (i had a look as i suspected they might be with the mild winter we've had)

Sent from my D2305 using Tapatalk

Ok, cheers guys, it looks like I'm a bit early yet. Still, gives the stupid neighbours something to wonder about when I'm down the garden with a head torch on in the freezing rain. ;)

Yesterday I had a couple of Common frogs (Rana temporaria) in amplexus..No sign though today after last nights frost.

Still no sign of any newts, but the weather (down south) is nearly there...

No, no sign of them in our pond either, the weather here is horrid, mind you.

Well that changed quickly! Seen all three species up and going

I've found some more apuanus in my pond, it was drained a week or two ago, but this morning I found frogspawn in it! Lucky I got it out, its now in my 5ft tank.

I wish I could really convey how many vulgaris and helveticus are in my pond. The vulgaris out number the helveticus by about 10:1. Any way, this is similar to the last three years. The newts feed on the tiny fish pellets on very sunny days, which probably is the reason there are so many. I put a picture of the pond too. I go in for the wild garden thing so the whole area supports the youngsters too. My biggest concern is what will happen to the pond should anything happen to me. How many do you see in this image?

c62a991ec258f3a263c36d5c75d871db_zpssdjxud9y.jpg

b63dab6ee1c6f953a536ca02e277db48_zpsohulxoac.jpg

Hmm, I think I can see about twelve newts in that picture, maybe a few more, but if I'm remembered for anything, it won't be my eyesight!
I've got to say, that big male L. vulgaris at 5 o'clock is a beauty, I wonder how old he is!

I found a pair of vulgaris in my pond, last week she was very fat, and now she is quite thin... exciting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back