Genetics- breeding for color variation

nina89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Doesn't matter how much I read about genetics I cant wrap my head around it. Can someone dumb it down in the simplest way and advise what color I should breed with my white albino Axolotl so that I have an assortment of colors.

https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81547
this is her in the link and a short history on her genetics

Jinians post was almost spot on with the color ratios in the batch. there was only a handful of albinos, lots of wild type and an equal amount of golden and leucistics

If you didn't read the post the white albino I'd like to breed came from a wild type male and either a wild type or leucistic axolotl female, I originally thought wild type in the previous post because I thought my leucistic was a male (he's actually a she).
If you look at the juvi in pic three in the link it looks very much like my axolotl bandit who is a heavily spotted leucistic, I've added a pic for reference.
and the albino is the one I'm talking about when she was a juvenile.

My main questions are.
What colour variation should I be looking for to put with my white albino to have an assortment of colors if
1. parents are both wild type, or
2. parents wild type and leucistic

Attachments

• bandit.jpg
    bandit.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_0175.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 255
For the most variation, you want to breed your albino with a wild-type. (You’ll get even more variation if it’s a GFP wild-type.)

Bandit is gorgeous!

Unless you know what carried recessive genes they each carry you'll just have to take pot luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back