The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 4th May 2019   #1
Mimma

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mimma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help

Hi,

I'm a new member and first time owner of a baby axie. I have had this baby for just over a month. The last few weeks I have noticed it never uses its back legs which are always pulled back and tucked in. There is also a curved shape toward end of its body. It eats and poos fine but struggles to balance. Looked fine and not deformed when I first got it as a tiny baby. Lady I got it from says it looks impacted as had it on sand in a tank. I have now removed it from tank and placed in a tub. What are your opinions and advice? Many thanks 😊
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190504_140027.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	55396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190504_135611.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	615.5 KB
ID:	55397  

Mimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Help

It does look a bit like he has some deformity of the spine. It'll be just 'see how it goes' for him. He may survive, he might not. He may have other internal deformities we can't see. If he continues to eat and poop, he's doing OK. He wouldn't survive in the wild, but he may do fine in captivity. Good luck.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, baby axies, deformed, impacted