The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 22nd April 2019   #1
smcc13

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: smcc13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red backed Salamander

My son and I were looking for snails and worms inClick the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size. our backyard and I found a very dried up red backed salamander. I picked him up with a stick and he moved a little bit I brought him inside and we’ve had him for about three days. His humidity is at 85 I’m trying to bring it down currently because I read that was too high I have pill bugs or roly-poly‘s are potato bugs whatever they’re called I have a bunch of small snails I have a bunch of small ones I have moss and grass and leaf litter some twigs and dirt from where we found it. it seems to be doing well he looks plump or she. It’s name is Wormy because my son thought it was a worm. It is very active at night and is in a 10 gallon tote with air holes all over the lid. Is there anything else I should do for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smcc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019   #2
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Red backed Salamander

My suggestion is to get it hydrated and active again, and then release it where it was found, preferably where there is cover such as logs and bark.
Red backs are challenging captives, even for experienced salamander keepers. For a beginner, it would very likely die on you.
There are other species that I think you would find much easier and more satisfying to keep.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019   #3
smcc13

Nationality:
Rep: smcc13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told not to release him back for many reasons. One being his food source being from the petstore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smcc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Red backed Salamander

Well, you're right about that.
They are secretive, but I kept one successfully for a while but I did let it back out in my yard after a while . Honestly if you don't have any other salamanders in your house I wouldn't worry about it.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote