The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 24th April 2019   #1
SaltyFishHipser

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SaltyFishHipser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ammonia and Nitrate Concern and Questions

Lately I have noticed a steady rise of nitrates and ammonia in my 20 gallon tank, despite preforming 5 gallon changes every weekend. The nitrates are reaching as high as around 60 ppm, and ammonia at 1.5 ppm.
I currently have only one 8.5 inch(21.5 cm) adult female in the tank, but I have a 30 gallon tank and I am planning on getting another. But if this big problem doesn't get solved very soon, I'll have to hold on buying another axolotl.

- I have tried doing more water changes during the week, but I'm afraid that might stress out the bacteria
-I'm waiting for some plants to either arrive in the mail, or finish their quarantine(duckweed, java fern, java moss, dwarf hair grass, water lettuce, a marimo ball, and hornwort), because all of the current plants in the tank are synthetic, so hopefully those might work with nitrate reduction?

In my water testing kit, it says that in order to deplete ammonia and nitrates, I should by "API Ammo Lock" and "API Nitra-Zorb / Aqua Detox?" Is it really necessary to buy that for my tank?

Please give me some recommendations, this is stressing me out a lot and I am extremely concerned for the health and safety of my axie baby, Pyro.

SaltyFishHipser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019   #2
Kingfisher

Nationality:
Rep: Kingfisher has started on the right path
Default Re: Ammonia and Nitrate Concern and Questions

A few questions:
Was your 20 gallon tank cycled before taking your latest water readings?
What type of filter are you using?
What are your nitrite levels?

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019   #3
SaltyFishHipser

Nationality:
Rep: SaltyFishHipser is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the tank has been cycled from what I know,
The type of filter I use is a regular hob filter, its specifically a fluval aquaclear 10-30 gallon
My nitrite levels are at 0

SaltyFishHipser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Your nitrates aren't too crazy, just do maybe an extra water change a week if you can to bring it down. Water changes wont damage the bacteria so don't stress about that.The ammonia could be a spike from uneaten food or poop. Check under decorations and in substrate if you have any. The plants will help a lot, though I would recommend quarantining them to make sure you're not bringing in any nasties. I use prime when doing water changes, it detoxifies the ammonia so it doesn't hurt your axolotl. It can give false ammonia readings though, so I'll wait a couple of days before testing again :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, chemistry problem, nitrate, plants