Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander Questions

Frogss

Reaction score
Hello! (This is my first post to this forum so I apologize if I mess something up! :) )
I am getting a tiger salamander for my 10 gallon tank soon and I have a few questions on their care that I couldn’t seem to find specific answers to.
• Is a diet of night crawlers and red wrigglers optimal or should I feed something else?
• Should I dust the food with any calcium/multivitamins? I already have a leopard gecko so that would be easy for me to provide.
• How often should I feed them? There was a lot of differing opinions on this subject.
•Will the salamander be happy in a 10 gallon tank for its whole life or will I need to upgrade at some point?
• Is it safe to provide a 4-6 inch deep water section with a ramp leading out or would they have the possibility of drowning?
• How much dirt should I provide in order for them to thrive? I know they like burrowing but some sources have said to provide 2-3 inches which doesn’t seem like enough.
Those are all the questions I could think of for now! There’s a lot but ANY input at all is appreciated, thanks!

Frogss

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site!
I can tell you that Nightcrawlers and red wrigglers don't need any kind of suppliments as they already contain everything your Salamander needs to grow and stay healthy. I think most of the other stuff you need to get started is in this article from Caudata Culture.

https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/tiger_sal_101.shtml

Thank you so much!! I’ll definitely check out that link :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!