Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings from the snowy Adirondack Mountains

Herphunter

Reaction score
Just wanted to say a quick hello to all of the other lovers of the salamanders and newts of the world. I have been fascinated with these creatures since I was a young boy. In fact my first interaction with the wonderful amphibians came when I was 7 years old.

My father took my brothers and I fishing in the backwoods streams in the mountains and we got lost. My father and I ventured off to find the way out and once we found an area that was familiar to my dad he left me and told me to wait while he went back for the others It started raining pretty hard and I found myself huddled below some low hanging branches of a hemlock. As I sat and waited a beautiful eastern spotted newt in its terrestrial stage, aka red eft emerged from the leaf litter a short distance away. The newt and I became good friends while I waited for my dad to return.

Anyway....That was more than 50 years ago and I've loved the little guys ever since.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!