Keeping Salamandra larvae together?

stablefly

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Every year for the past 7 years I have raised my larvae separately in individual containers sharing a common water source. This year I decided not to breed them as i am just to busy to go through the process. I did not cycle them. I did however cycle the photoperiod and maybe that coupled with the fact that most of my adult animals are captive bread has given me unexpected larvae.
Even though I did not want them they are here. I don't want to house them individually due to the amount of time spent feeding every year. I have set them up in a very large aquarium and have access a very healthy supply of live food to "stock" the aquarium and want to know if this should be enough to stop cannibalism.
I know some keep them together so it can be done but do they cannibalize as part of their nature or only when lacking other foods?
Cheers.

Hi,

I keep mine together when they are the same size ish, I have seen no canabalistic behavour but I ensure they are well fed.

Because my females had their young over nearly a 2 month period, I did start a new holding tub every 2 weeks as they were growing so fast, so I was worried a 2 week old one would be tempted to have a go at a new born.

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave,
They did appear to me to be non aggressive toward each other so i was simply watching for any signs. Good thing I wasted so much time every year setting up and feeding them all individually!!! lol!

Can you share how you had the individual containers set up on the same water source? Thanks!

Can you share how you had the individual containers set up on the same water source? Thanks!

Absolutely Tony, I use large clear rubbermaid storage bins with a bulkhead fitting in one side for an overflow. Up to 4 on metal utility racking with a single T-5 light above each one (on a timer). the containers drain through hoses into one another from top shelf to bottom. The very bottom shelf being a 15 gal aquarium with a power filter to return flow to the top container again. In to the storage bins I place 16oz deli cups with a number of small holes in them (created with a soldering iron) about 1" from the bottom of the cup. A cm or so of sand is put into the bottom for weight and I put in some aquatic moss for cover and to improve water quality. There is no chance of cannibalism, you can make suer everyone is eating and keep better track of your bloodlines but feeding is a pain and It's a lot more expensive a system.
This year it's one java fern filled aquarium, a sponge filter and a whole lot of live food dumped in every day.
Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back