Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Success!!!

Tim Robin

Reaction score
This morning I found this site!!!
photo_zpsff64159a.jpg

Dad is in the very front of the photo and mom is on the side of the water dish. I am very excited as I have had these guys for several years and know that these are 100% captive bred and born fire sallies!!

narny101

Reaction score
congrats!!!!! i'm sure your happy to get some new blood in you salamander tank :)

are you going to keep them or sell them?

o2Surplus

Reaction score
Congrats! and thanks for the photo. I didn't realize until now how small the larvae were. I've got a pair very similar in appearance to yours, so I'll be watching for the "little ones" much more closely from here on.

AmbystoMan

Reaction score
Congratulations

look like Salamandra salamandra terrestris ? our beautiful french salamander ;-)

sergé

Reaction score
Hi Paul, no they are not terrestris. The pattern is more typical for S. s. salamandra. Probably these specimen from eastern Europe. I know the Ukraine animals exported to the USA some years ago.

Tim Robin

Reaction score
Well I have had 2 morph. They seem to be doing well on land. Here they are.....

photo_zps6e21f25b.jpg

This is my little special one!! Besides the crooked back, can anyone find what makes him unique??

photo_zps20241df9.jpg

otolith

Reaction score
Looks like the little one has an extra leg!

Cute little guys, how many larvae did you end up with?

Tim Robin

Reaction score
Looks like the little one has an extra leg!

Cute little guys, how many larvae did you end up with?

Bingo!!! He has an extra front left leg. Both move and articulate just fine. It will be interesting to see how he does as he morphs and grows.

Aneides

Reaction score
Nice, those metamorphs are nice looking, The one on with the blotches has potential to be stunning. Is this the first time you have bred them?

Aneides

Tim Robin

Reaction score
Yes this is the first time these have produced here. Last year I bought a few adults and a couple of the females were gravid and laid offspring. But this is the first that they have bred and produced here. Several of them are very high yellow!!

Here are a couple photos....

Fires1_zps87d5f74a.jpg

Fires_zps2b715992.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1