Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Getting uneasy feelings about seller

Foxypaws

Reaction score
Hi! First post here...thought it would be a better one than this, darn it. Long story ahead, so bear with me!

A few months ago I set up my first axolotl tank. About a month ago I decided to start looking for an axolotl to put in it. I began looking around, trying to find a good, reputable online breeder since my local pet stores rarely ever have any.

I found some photos of a GORGEOUS axolotl on reddit. They told me that they'd bought from a breeder on Instagram. I began looking at this particular breeder and decided that they were the one for me.

Now the color that I wanted was pretty uncommon I think. High white axanthic. I messaged this breeder and asked if they had any. She kind of skirted around the question and started talking about her wild types and such. Fine. I told her that I was actually looking specifically for a high white axanthic. She directed me to some beautiful axanthic coppers that she would have ready in about a month. I chalked it up that she didn't have any high white axanthics, but I did love those coppers so I told her I'd take one.

I asked her if it would be okay that she ship through FedEx, since that's where I work. I could take nearly a full day off of shipment time by having it come through my warehouse. She said that this would be okay but would cost me extra. I agreed to this and paid her.

A few days later she put up that coveted high white axanthic that I wanted. I was sorely disappointed to say the least. I had asked her if she had any! Several times! But that's okay.

Come shipment day, she told me she'd have to delay. I said okay. She tried to convince me to buy a second axolotl to join the other one. I told her that I wanted to wait and see the gender of the one that I had before buying a second (I don't want to breed) and she offered to exchange it for another if it ended up being the gender that I didn't want. I politely declined.

Today she sent me the tracking and it was 3 day shipping through USPS! I paid her $20 for 2 day shipping with one service and she paid $13 to another service. I asked her what happened to FedEx and she was confused and said that she always ships through USPS. She acted like we'd never had this conversation.

I ended up screenshotting her conversation of telling me/charging me for it and at that point she began to spout apologies, tell me she'd been sick, and offered me a refund of the difference it would cost.

I'm excited for my baby axolotl...but also hoping now that he will get here okay and be the expensive color that I paid for and not something else because she 'forgot' to give me the right one.

Am I just being overly paranoid with this? This is my first axolotl purchase and so far I don't feel like I've had a fantastic experience.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Always pay as a purchase through paypal or credit card. If their is a problem you can demand a refund. All axolotl keepers are eccentric. Hopefully your breeder is just bad on organizational skills and good on axolotl keeping.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!