Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What to feed juveniles after brine shrimp?

OliverB

Reaction score
We have about 100 one month old axolotls and this is all new to us -- we thought we had two females! We have been feeding them brine shrimp since they hatched, but we are getting very inconsistent results with hatching lately for some reason and not sure why. Can someone say when they switch over from shrimp to something else, and what would be best thing to feed them next? They're about 1.5 inches long, still too small for pellets, and would love something easier than the brine shrimp. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kingfisher

Reaction score
You could either feed them live daphnia or frozen bloodworms.

The frozen bloodworms would be the easiest to feed, after you thaw them in water first. Daphnia would be more nutritious but more work to cultivate.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I got a 2 inch axolotl a couple of weeks ago and have been feeding her live blackworms. She's grown almost an inch since having her so it must be working well!

Viking

Reaction score
I am far from an expert but last I raised 43 Axolotls without brine shrimp. The honest the easiest on demand is baby brine shrimp. Daphnia are great but you need to a huge long before you start hatching the eggs.I have a 3000 gallon horse tank that I emptied of daphnia. I have a similar number and size of axolotls.

You can try breaking salmon pellet and see if the larvae will be cautious not to overfeed and pollute the tank.

Black worms are great but they are very pricey. The California source is very limited because of water policy so buy from the Eastern source. If you have a source glass worm will work.

See if you get other to take at this size.

Good luck!

OliverB

Reaction score
thanks! I tried some freeze dried bloodworms but they havent been interested thus far, Im assuming lack of movement. Where do you all find live black worms? I don't have a local pet store with any and I tried Amazon and didnt see any except dried ones.

Andria

Reaction score
Frozen bloodworms are probably the easiest. Daphnia you can try too. Sometimes local fish stores will have some of your can order them online.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
That's annoying about the blackworms! They're not super easy to find here but I managed to find a small fish store that stocks them, $10 for 30ml of worms. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and they don't have any smell other than a slight earthiness, and I only have to do a water change once or twice a week. Wish I could send you some!
Hope you find something that works for you :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!