Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby axolotl hides a lot

Foxypaws

Reaction score
Here I am with another question! My baby Coa doesn't move too much and I'm not sure how normal that is. He eats a TON, but other than that he just...hides. I have his lights on for 5 hours a day because it's a planted tank. But even when its dark he's often found hiding his face under plants, rocks, or in the corners of the tank.

I thought babies were more active!

I check my water parameters almost obsessively and they're totally fine. No ammonia or anything yucky. The temperature fluctuates from 60℉ at night to 65-67℉ throughout the day.

Should I be worried that he is hiding all the time? Is it just because he's still getting used to his new home? (I've had him since Friday)

Viking

Reaction score
It is normal for axolotl to not move much. They hunt by sitting still waiting for prey. Usually once every twenty minutes to they go to the surface to take a glop of air. Also it is normal for axolotl to be in a group when young. He or she will be more visible. Especially when they know you bring food. Also when full of food, they will sit digesting.

The time they move most is when spawning.

Foxypaws

Reaction score
I've only ever seen him come to the top for a gulp once. Beyond that he stays put unless he's sneaking to a new hiding place! He REALLY doesn't like to be watched. I think it's adorable actually...but if he notices a human being staring at him he'll slowly hide his face. Just his face. Under a leaf, in the corner, in a hole, whatever he can get his little nose in. It's like he's being bashful.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If he has recently been moved to a new tank it could just be him getting used to it and you. Whenever I have had new ones it will take them a little while for their personalities to come out. Or it may just be a shy one and will always hide haha

Foxypaws

Reaction score
If he has recently been moved to a new tank it could just be him getting used to it and you. Whenever I have had new ones it will take them a little while for their personalities to come out. Or it may just be a shy one and will always hide haha

Hopefully it's just the newness then! Could...it also be the sheer size of his new home compared to his old one? That thought just suddenly hit me. He was raised in a shoebox sized plastic tote, empty aside from a couple of small plants and some siblings. Now he's in a planted 20 gallon long all by himself.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
It absolutely can be! He's just figuring out his surroundings, he'll get used to it :) Try and lure him out with some food to get him exploring the tank.

ArwenX7

Reaction score
Mine took a good 4-7 days to be completely comfortable in their new tanks (I've moved them twice)

They now happily sit out in the open, even when the lights are on. I think it just takes them time to realise there are no predators around to get them.

Foxypaws

Reaction score
Today I think I freaked him out pretty bad. My canister filter started leaking badly so I had to take it apart to find the problem. Afterwards the tank needed new water because I'd emptied out several gallons with the filter. When all was settled again I tried to feed Coa breakfast and he refused. He would crawl away from the tweezers every time. Eventually I left him alone with a little pile and he ate two. But he won't eat anymore in front of me.

Foxypaws

Reaction score
Update! He's doing MUCH better today. When I went to feed him, he took a bite and ran away to hide in his cave, but came peeking back out about a minute later and actually approached me for another bite of bloodworm. He's never come near me on his own before!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!