Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

And on a lighter note .. :)

freekygeeky

Reaction score
Here are some of the babies i rescued frommy pump - long story - not many survived 7 in total

newt1.jpg

newt2-1.jpg

newt3.jpg

newt4.jpg

newt5.jpg

Cute eh?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cute indeed!

What is the pH of the water they are in? Whenever I see water + moss, I feel a bit worried.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
L.vulgaris???
Cute indeed...as every single tiny newt n_n
I´m not sure that´s sphagnum, do you think other mosses can be dangerously acidic Jen?

freekygeeky

Reaction score
Its moss for reptiles and amphbians... not sure if this one is spagnum , they have been in it since august any way and doing fine

they are just common smooooth newts

:)

dani

Reaction score
awww they are real cute! i had a tiny smooth newt for a little while i rescued it from a group of pond dipping kids who were gonna keep it in a jar!! I took it home and made a really nice set-up for it, mr newt didnt take too well to captivity though and wasnt eating so i waited untill the the season of pond dippers was over, (when the kids went back to school after summer holidays) then took him back to his pond.

Last edited:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I once caught a girl catching newts to sell to fisherman as bait. Boy, did I ever give her a lecture. Then I made her look at one of the little newts in the face, how cute it was, and ... I think I might even have resorted to anthropomorphizing the little fellows (Look at the sweet little face, it's smiling, how do you think it'll like a fishhook in its belly, it's family will miss it, etc.) I hope I had a lasting impact, though I'll never know.

freekygeeky

Reaction score
awww they are real cute! i had a tiny smooth newt for a little while i rescued it from a group of pond dipping kids who were gonna keep it in a jar!! I took it home and made a really nice set-up for it, mr newt didnt take too well to captivity though and wasnt eating so i waited untill the the season of pond dippers was over, (when the kids went back to school after summer holidays) then took him back to his pond.

blooming hell
very sad that the others died but i did my best
my pump in my pong packed up - the pond with fish in - and no newts .. (newts in other one only - or so i thought) there were eggs in the pump - thuoght they were fish eggs and snails eggs etc etc so put them i a bucket ,,, then put them inside in the end as it wa sgettign so cold!! 8 ended up being fish the rest newts.

i guess tey are lucky

and eat SO MUCH

I once caught a girl catching newts to sell to fisherman as bait. Boy, did I ever give her a lecture. Then I made her look at one of the little newts in the face, how cute it was, and ... I think I might even have resorted to anthropomorphizing the little fellows (Look at the sweet little face, it's smiling, how do you think it'll like a fishhook in its belly, it's family will miss it, etc.) I hope I had a lasting impact, though I'll never know.

awww cruel!!
thank you and i am glad you did that hopefully you changed their minds - for ever

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1