Plants for fire-belly newt aquascape

Krys

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I am brand new to aquascaping so I dont know what I'm getting myself into I have a 20 gal aquarium and I'm trying to have it planted. What I would like to know is: What are the best plants to keep with fire-belly newts? are there any plants I cant keep with them? and which plants are the best for keeping the water as filtered as possible? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you! :happy:

Newts love plants - the conditions you have in the aquarium will determine which ones you can have (light, water hardness, temperature, substrate etc.). I don't think there are plants you can't have with newts but you will be limited by the conditions which newts require (lower temperatures, non-moving water, no gravel that the newts could swallow...).

I would recommend reading through the threads in this section to get some ideas. Also look up Walstad method.
Regarding "filtering plants" - hornwort and Hygrophila Difformis / Water Wisteria are supposed to have qualities like that.

Frogbit is a good plant to use i have it with my baby axies and they love it as it is a floating plant and you should try and have a combination of floating and not as newts love that kind of thing.

Sorry to jump on the thread, but thought I might as well rather than start another. I was looking to get some terrestrial plants for my FBn set-up. Just wanna check that there are no non newt friendly plants? So I can go to a garden centre and just ask which suit my temp and substrate? many thanks Alex.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back