What do you do for wounds? (greater siren)

Battyjac

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had very little luck with searching. I have 3 greater sirens in a 45 gallon tank. Two will be removed as soon as a couple of the other teachers are set up. (I posted intro previously)

One of them ended up with a large bite a month or so ago. It was not clearing up and started to look infected. My daughter volunteers at the Sea Life Center in Corpus Christi and asked their expert for ideas. No answers. Granted, they mostly work with sea turtles.

I ended up buying Turtle Fix from Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/API-TURTLE-Antibacterial-Turtle-8-Ounce/dp/B00ESBHN02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513875864&sr=8-1&keywords=turtle+fixbecause it said it was good for aquatic amphibians. It's essentially tea tree oil. The inflammation is way down and it looks like it is finally healing. I started that 2 weeks ago and just ordered more.

What else do you usually do for wounds? I was so careful to only have softish stuff so they didn't scratch their skins and then they bit each other. But, usually they seem to get along. The little one is usually buried somewhere but seems to have no fear of the bigger ones, and the two big ones often lay together. I think it's a male and female but it's hard to tell, one is much lighter than the other so the head may just look different from shadowing. There is so little info out there that I feel like I'm breaking new ground. Heck, I read something that they don't use their front legs. Mine seem to have great dexterity with their legs and maneuver around the bottom and sides of the tank primarily with those. Sorry, for the extra stuff. Apparently, I'm stalling on grading midterms.

Also, if anyone is researching these and wants any of my observations or wants me or some students to make some, let me know. I don't teach AP classes but my co-workers do and sometimes have students wanting/needing a research project. I have these and fire-bellied toads in the classroom.

Greater siren and lesser siren care are similar, just everything bigger for the greater siren. The care sheet on lesser sirens through this site is very helpful. https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Siren/S_intermedia.shtml There are many people on here that are knowledgeable and have helped me with some questions I've had.

I have two lesser sirens. One for sure is a male and my little one is starting to look like it will be a male too. They are amazing pets and easy to care for. Both of mine have their own quirky personalities. They do use their front legs a lot. My small one likes to dig in the sand searching for blackworms that burrowed in.

I hope you and the other teachers have the space for a 125 gallon or more tank for just one. One of my lesser sirens is 20 1/12 inches long and housed in a 75 gallon. He will need an upgrade if he keeps growing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back