Salamander ID Confirmation

meteordemon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, about a month ago, I received what I was told to be a copper axolotl gone through metamorphosis. I know that this is very rare to occur naturally so I'd love some confirmation that it is or isnt a different species of mole salamander. She is eating well and doesn't seem to mind the transformation. Is there any special care she may require?

Attachments

• 20180522_155957.jpg
    20180522_155957.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 240
  • 20180522_155757.jpg
    20180522_155757.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 218
It almost looks like a tiger salamander to me! It looks like the yellow and black stripes are coming in, just like on my own little guy who is just finishing morphing.

Axolotls are a type of tiger salamander, so it would look very similar. I have a freshly morphed tiger salamander that she lives with. She's been transformed for a month now and her colors haven't come in, so it would be odd to me that this guy is completely golden off the bat, i also have not been able to find a single picture on the internet of a traditional tiger salamander looking like this. Shes also about 20% bigger than my marbled tiger salamander These are the reasons i think this may actually be an axolotl like i was told.

Here's a picture of the 2 up close

Attachments

• IMG_20180518_161402.jpg
    IMG_20180518_161402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
Interesting. Maybe it is from an axolotl that has been bred with a tiger salamander. Definitely interesting. I am almost certain it has some tiger salamander in it, just from the pattern and physique.

OOPS the first pictures are actually of the green tiger salamander, I just can't see well because I'm going this on my phone HERE'S the real deal

Attachments

• 20180522_155550.jpg
    20180522_155550.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 142
Oh wow!!! Even more gorgeous!! It has some serious tiger salamander traits going on, but I can see some golden axolotl morph in there. Sometimes breeders will cross axolotls with neotenic tiger salamanders to get unique color patterns. Perhaps if a gene like has too much tiger salamander dna in it, it could cause the axolotl to morph. In any case, certainly a unique pattern!!

Interesting! I didn't know that could be done. That seems like a distinct possibility

What size is she exactly? If she is larger than both a typical tiger salamander and a typical axolotl, it could be heterosis, an indicator of hybridization between the two species!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back