Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Paedomorphic Tigers

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how many people tried to get Jake to part with some of these already.

Jake

Reaction score
Yes the offspring could morph and live on land. The reason these adults didn't morph was because the conditions in the wild in the pond were probably more favorable than on the land.

supergrappler

Reaction score
GREAT work!!!!

I know this is an older post but I am new here so i just read it for the first time today.
You sir are unbelievably lucky.

Shadow

Reaction score
Well now that this topic is bumped again, might as well ask for an update with pics?

Jake

Reaction score
GREAT work!!!!
You sir are unbelievably lucky.

I am actually believably unlucky.

Well now that this topic is bumped again, might as well ask for an update with pics?

Well, I guess it's time to explain what happened to this little project. I was really excited when I found them mating and egg laying. When I got the photos I planned to wait to post anything for a few months when I knew what type of results I'd get from the trial run. Unfortunately, all of the animals involved had some type of disease (I suspect VHS which was found in a bunch of bait tigers around the time I purchased the gilled ones). All of the adults and larvae died off within 5 weeks of me purchasing them. It was a terrible mistake buying them and I don't plan to do so again. The only pics I can update this thread with are ones of the empty tanks.

Shadow

Reaction score
Well, I guess it's time to explain what happened to this little project. I was really excited when I found them mating and egg laying. When I got the photos I planned to wait to post anything for a few months when I knew what type of results I'd get from the trial run. Unfortunately, all of the animals involved had some type of disease (I suspect VHS which was found in a bunch of bait tigers around the time I purchased the gilled ones). All of the adults and larvae died off within 5 weeks of me purchasing them. It was a terrible mistake buying them and I don't plan to do so again. The only pics I can update this thread with are ones of the empty tanks.

Awww that sucks man, sorry to hear that. I am really interested in Neotenic Tigers because I love comparing them to Axolotls.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear this, Jake. Everyone who breeds amphibs has to stomach the occasion disaster:(
(I suspect VHS which was found in a bunch of bait tigers around the time I purchased the gilled ones).
What is VHS? To me, it means Virginia Herpetological Society;)

SUZY

Reaction score
My gosh
That is absolutly beautiful.
I hope tht some day I can do something like that!!!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That's to bad. I know you have had a lot of successes in breeding amphibians. I could tell you a couple sad stories about some exciting prospects that went bad for me. We have to take the bad with the good.

I used to work with a guy who always said "The bad days make the good ones seem better." That guy was a bit of a jerk but hopefully you get the point.

Jake

Reaction score
What is VHS? To me, it means Virginia Herpetological Society;)
Sorry about that I should have been more specific. It means viral hemhorragic septicemia, I'm not 100% positive that is what wiped them out, but it's very likely.

That's to bad. I know you have had a lot of successes in breeding amphibians. I could tell you a couple sad stories about some exciting prospects that went bad for me. We have to take the bad with the good.

I used to work with a guy who always said "The bad days make the good ones seem better." That guy was a bit of a jerk but hopefully you get the point.

I've heard that saying before. It's pretty true.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!