Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Reptilien und Amphibien Europas (Axel Kwet)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reptilien und Amphibien Europas by Axel Kwet (Stuttgart: Kosmos, 2005) 252 pp.

The last time I was in Germany was November 2006, for my brother’s wedding. There’s only so much you can do for fun in the midst of wedding preparations and in November, but I managed to visit the Berlin zoo and play on my brother’s computer. I looked up German amphibian books, and found a reference to this, and made it my quest to get a copy somewhere in Berlin. Not as easily done as I’d thought. But I finally tracked one down a few blocks from the Hauptbahnhof and spent the rest of the week reading it over and over.(*)

It’s just a guidebook, with pictures and brief information, but really great pictures, and a fair bit of information. Each entry includes a distribution map, species description, habitat, subtypes, and species information. The book did not skimp on salamanders. Here is a page-number round-up: Salamanders: 35 pages; Frogs: 57 pages; Turtles: 14 pages; Lizards etc.: 71 pages, and Snakes: 41 pages.

I loved learning the German words for the anatomical parts of amphibians and the names of the familiar newt species in German.(**) After reading so many US guides to amphibians, this was all so...well…foreign. It was just like being on a completely different continent!

I had hours and hours of fun with this book. The salamander section became my wish list. I wanted a Feuersalamander (Salamandra salamandra), an Alpenmolch (Triturus alpestris), a Teichmolch (Triturus vulgaris), a Kammmolch (Triturus cristatus), a Donaukammmolch (Triturus dobrogicus), and a Marmormolch (Triturus marmoratus). It was only a few months later I met Michael Shrom and made two of those dreams come true.

As you can imagine, I was a big hit at the wedding, running around sharing my recently acquired hobby with relatives I hadn’t seen in 5 years, polishing off all the half-started, abandoned champagne flutes (hey, we paid good money for that stuff!), and confidently representing the normalcy of the American branch of the family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*I did not know either Daniel or Eva at this time, otherwise, I'd have been able to add them to the "people I've met" thread.

**In addition, their word for “adder” is “Otter” (in addition for their word for “otter” being “Otter,” or “Fischotter”) and so they have horny otters, sand otters, snub-nosed otters, mountain otters, and meadow otters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Available in Germany for 19,95 Euros; on amazon.de starting at 16,20 Euros,
and even on (US) amazon.com starting at $27.31 (not available in translation).

Attachments

• KosmosFuehrer.jpg
    KosmosFuehrer.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1