Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gender question.

grius

Reaction score
Hi.
Basic question. Can someone tell me what sex my two A.mavortium have? I belive either 0.2 or 1.1. But i have no experience when it comes to sex tigers.

HD, so you dont miss that.

The smaller one, 24-25cm.
YouTube - Barred tiger salamander 2.

And the larger/heayvier, recently messure to 26-27cm.
YouTube - Barred tiger salamander

Sorry for opening a new thread so short after, but i belive i may get an answer faster this way.
Regards.

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
These guys are notoriously hard to sex outside of mating season. The best way is to watch for females developing eggs in the spring. They'll be more plump than the males.

I don't know if males' cloaca swell before they enter the breeding pond or not. If so, then you can check for cloacal swelling in the spring as well.

grius

Reaction score
I diden´t meen thart my question was easy, only that it was a simpel/fast one hehe:happy:

But i understand. I thougnt maybe there was a way to see (guess) from boody shape or tail.

Tanks for answer.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say you're probably right in they're both female. But that's just a guess.

During breeding season, males will also have a more flattened tail to help propel them through the water. But again... breeding season. The smaller one seems to have a bit more flattened tail, but that could be just wishful thinking.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The videos with them flat against glass aren't too helpful. It might be better if you photographed/filmed them from the side and bottom without the glass there. But it still might be guesswork.

grius

Reaction score
Of curse it would have been fun to know! but Its not that big deal for me, i was only curious if i might be right. My first mavortium had an very flatern tail and was 100% male according to my "friend" . But Iff that now was true i dont know.

I could take photos instead, if that helps better. However i think i´m done guessing.

Last edited:

Wolferic

Reaction score
Well i have a male and female. The female being at 27.5 centimeters and the male is 26 .. Though the Female is bigger and fatter for sure. The best way as been explained is not on the glass.. It flattens out their junk.. Making it harder to see swollen testes. At this time of year you should see something that resembles testes sort of.. if it looks like there is two seperate sacs or more dowllen from side to side rather then just one section then its a male and the female looks more like a tiny ****** sort of..:? Does this help? If not pick the salamander up have someone else film it and show the cloaca on the bottom and a side view and I can help you sex it. SO get going and re-do this vid:>

grius

Reaction score
Thanks you Wolferic. iI shall take a closer look some day and see if i maybe can see some diference on those two. But i can tell you allready that both dont have nmuch to bump.

Last edited:

grius

Reaction score
Why are you so interested in their sexes if you cant breed them anyway Tomas?

I have allways been interestet in sexes on my animals eaven if i have been able to breed or not. But wy cant i breed my mavortium? that is no impossibility,.thou it probably wont hapen.

Last edited:

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I only said that cause you told me yourself you had not the conditions of a outdoor setup to accomplish so. but if you now have outdoor space, well thats a different story now:eek:

grius

Reaction score
I only said that cause you told me yourself you had not the conditions of a outdoor setup to accomplish so. but if you now have outdoor space, well thats a different story now:eek:

My swedish friends made it indoors happy enough:) i dont know how many they got but some are soon for sale, or have been sold perhaps. So to keep them outdoor dont seem like a must, but a better chanse to succees certainly

However, it is not my goal trying to breed tigers as there are no market for salamanders/newts here.

Last edited:

mytimemic

Reaction score
Wow. Those videos were great. Very helpful. They are the best I have seen. When we first got Rex we assumed she was male because that was quite a set of luggage that she had. We took pics & was informed - Nope she is a girl. That luggage is the cloaca & her tail was also to short to be a male. Imagine our surprise to find out that her luggage was empty & that males have carry-ons in addition to the luggage. LOL

Our Rex is actually a Rexanne. We still call her Rex though.

Wolferic

Reaction score
Well that was the reason for my vids.. Without the sex's side by side to compare.. people cannot make out the two sex's without previous experience to illustrate the two genders. I myself had to Send in a video Of my Female who i thought previous was a male until i had purchased a male and had them side by side.. anyhow it helps for sure to see the male and female up close and personal in order to sex your own. This is why this forum is so great!:> helps in a whole lot of ways.. and as been said.. though people have not been able to breed them in captivity successfully doesn't mean we cannot in the future so everyone please try!!!:> lol Im trying this winter:> lol:>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1