Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What subspecies of Tigers?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I doubt they are from IL. They only have Eastern Tigers A. t. tigrinum. Their head shape is all wrong for eastern tigers in that picture. I agree with Jaymes and John, they are A. mavortium. Pet stores and wholesalers are notoriously ignorant or just plain liars about where they get their animals. I'm 100% positive they are A. mavortium or a mavortium hybrid.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
From what I know about Ambystoma mavortium diaboli are in extreme MN. Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum are thought to possibly be there too. That isn't confirmed though.

Last edited:

frogman

Reaction score
I don't remember if the exact subspecies of my tigers was ever established, but here is a quick update on them. They have grown a lot with the leaning towards 10 inches and the female at 8 inches they have impressed me a lot. I expect them to continue growing as neither have really bulked up yet. Bulking up is a term that I use that I commonly see in axolotl's, where they go through a phase during the time when they are 6 inches and usually ends when they're 7 to 8 inches. What happens is the animal loses that young looking body shape, the arms widening, and their heads widening too, and they take on that adult shape. Since neither have done that yet I assume that they have not finished growing. They are extremely active and fun to keep and maybe now I can get an accurate determination on the subspecies I believe they're barred tiger salamanders. Here are some pictures of how they look now!
The "male" I believe
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371751985.939731.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371752026.388197.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371752036.537163.jpg

The "female" I believe
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371752069.956968.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371752080.796821.jpg

Thanks,

Evan

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
They are Barred Tigers, but as to what locality/race/state I couldn't say. Also, I'm afraid your female looks like a young male to me. Females don't really have a bump, even in breeding mode it's barely a bump. Pretty animals though!

otolith

Reaction score
A bit late to the party here but you can definitely rule out California tigers; the spotting, base color and morphology are all wrong.

frogman

Reaction score
Yes they are pretty animals, the one I believed was female is usually a very bright yellow. She has not shed in a while but is crazy awesome looking after she does.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!