Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions on Boreal Chorus frog (Pseudacris maculata) Set-up

Wy Renegade

Reaction score
Hey All,

Looking for some advice on setting up an enclosure for Boreal Chorus frogs (Pseudacris maculata). They are a temperate species, and I know they don't require a dormancy period. I've looked through the few threads on here about chorus frogs, but not really much on how to set-up an appropriate enclosure.

I'd like something more natural like my Tiger salamander set-up which you can see here; http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...106248-40b-ambystoma-tigrinum-paludarium.html

I'm thinking of a paludarium style set-up with a small weeping wall or waterfall. Because the frogs are small, I'm looking at a 15gal AG aquarium.

Should the top be glass or screen? Any other advice?

Appreciate any additional input.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Hello. For a while I owned Upland Chorus frogs (Pseudacris feriarum) for a while, and honestly, I think they would do fine in an enclosure like that. What I would do is aim for a slightly bigger enclosure (20-30 gallons at the most) and make a 55/45 land and water split, as mine were either in their water dish, or perched on top of a log near it. I would still attempt to brumate them, as with that much water they could breed during the spring, but it would be up to you if you wanted them to do that. Also, your tiger salamander enclosure is amazing!

Wy Renegade

Reaction score
Hello. For a while I owned Upland Chorus frogs (Pseudacris feriarum) for a while, and honestly, I think they would do fine in an enclosure like that. What I would do is aim for a slightly bigger enclosure (20-30 gallons at the most) and make a 55/45 land and water split, as mine were either in their water dish, or perched on top of a log near it. I would still attempt to brumate them, as with that much water they could breed during the spring, but it would be up to you if you wanted them to do that. Also, your tiger salamander enclosure is amazing!

Hey Sith, first thanks much, the Tiger enclosure has been a lot of fun. I've a few changes in mind for it now that it has been running for awhile, and am still speculating on the waterfall portion. I originally considered a 20 as a possibility, once I figure out my driftwood, I guess I'll make that decision. If I may ask, what do you mean by brumate? Breeding them would be great, but does that take a cold period to induce breeding?

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Yes, brumation is essentially another word for hibernation, for this species to breed I believe they would need a winter cooling period followed by a gradual increase of warmth, like the change from winter to spring :happy:

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
I’m currently keeping (and breeding) western chorus frogs and something that I’ve observed is that they really like reeds/grass, especially the fake reed type plants by their water dish. Speaking of water dishes the paludarium type setup would be great since chorus frogs (at least just mine) seem to really like water

Attachments

• 9BCE0729-865A-4720-803F-404A95C96E81.jpg
    9BCE0729-865A-4720-803F-404A95C96E81.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 955
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!