Black axoltls

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
I've seen brown or "wildtype" axoltls (and have one myself) but I have never heard of "black axoltls" before now. Some of these are now being sold over here in Japan. Is this variant unheard of elsewhere?

17021.jpg

Source: Peponi
http://www.remix-net.co.jp/Peponi/Image/2004/6gatu/6.13/axo1black.JPG

i believe they offer melanoid axies-which is different than wild type-its a genetic mutation akin to albinism

I have two melanoid axies. 1M/1F both are large. I've only had this pair a short while but they are rapidly becoming my favourites. looking forward to them breeding.

They have a velvety black colour, very lively and enormous appetites. Darker flecks are apparent in the tails crests. If you go to yahoo groups site

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/axolotl_list/lst?.dir=/6+psychos&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

You will see piccys of them. Be careful that end of line returns haven't been put into that string.

Axanthic Axolotls (ax/ax) are also a black mutant variation but I understand that they are generally are inactive and die before reaching sexual maturity and are susceptible to some virus that infects nearly all axies.

I don't think that Axies like Chance are due to genetic mutation but more to do with unusual variation within phenotypes. Which is why it is so hard to reproduce the pattern. If it was as simple as producing golden albinos then there would be much more available. Perhaps JC could elaborate for us mere mortals if he's reading this thread.

Regards,
Mikki

Are they really that unusual? I've got 7 or 8 of them....

Sharon

Melanoid, or wildtype? Melanoid are more rare than wildtype

ive seen them for sale on indiana state university axolotl colony website. they cost a little more like the whites and albinos. what i dont get is that they list the 'normal' and 'wildtype' as 2 different types -by definition 'wildtype' should be the normal phenotype found in populations - so what does that make 'normal'?

Melanoids, black ones.

I'm really looking forward to crossing the melanoids with leucistics...

Sharon

Melanoids are rarer than wild type. Stands to reason being the result of a recessive gene combo (m/m). Both parents must donate an recessive m allele for the combo to happen. If you haven't ever done it try plotting a Punnet square to see various possilbilties and the probabilities of achieving the certain phenotypes. If you don't know how throw an email in my direction. Regards, mikki

PS

Same reasoning applies to leucistics (d/d) and albino (a/a).

But sometimes animals don't carry a crtain type of gene. For example you wouldn.t expect a wild caught (not wildtype colour) to carry albino genes, recessive or dominant allele, because albinoism in axos appears to be as a result of a cross mating with an albino tiger larva from that famed Paris exhibition back in the 1890s.

Regards again

PS

Same reasoning applies to leucistics (d/d) and albino (a/a).

But sometimes animals don't carry a crtain type of gene. For example you wouldn.t expect a wild caught (not wildtype colour) to carry albino genes, recessive or dominant allele, because albinoism in axos appears to be as a result of a cross mating with an albino tiger larva from that famed Paris exhibition back in the 1890s.

Regards again

Melanoids and melanoid albinos are my favourite axolotl variants. I have both male and female melanoids right now and a female melanoid albino (like this one, gills not as spectacular though: http://www.pbase.com/image/28756256). I also have a wildtype (better described as normal, Paris, due to its phenotype belying the genotype) and a golden albino.

What I like most about non-albino melanoids is that they don't look "freakish" like albinos or leucistics but are far less aggressive than wildtypes. I find it very interesting that axolotl aggression is linked to colouration in some way.

All I want now is a leucistic...

john,

Saw a small leucistic in a shop in manchester (4cm)near Apollo theatre last weekend - 30 quid mind. Just athought if you are over this way sometime.

They had a very white albino of same size that caught my eye I was thinking might be melanoid albino need to inspect it some more.

I have two leucistics (M&F) that have successfully bred previously. I am going to seperate the males out soon in attempt to induce mating.

Regards,

Now Muff (Melanoid) and Snork (pictured left) are living ovver t'brush - we're hoping to see the results of their genes mingling soon

They, however, seem to have other ideas! Although Snork has her sexy black toes on, and Muff seems interested, so far they're refusing to oblige.
I've added plants, dropped the water temperature and short of piping Barry White into the tank, i think this is all i can be reasonably expected to do! Guess i'll just have to be patient and let them get round to it

On the plus side, they do seem much happier (as far as one can judge) They're much more interactive, and spend a lot of time lying alongside , or on top of each other!

I got a black axolotl. Most of them have a white under belly. Somtimes they are compleatly black but this is rare.

I have a black one. When he was for sale, the rest of the batch was wild-type. It was bought in a south suburb of Chicago. He needs a friend that is white. On the boards here, however, i hardly ever see any pics of blacks posted, so i am not sure of the availibility.

Once in an old pet shop there were about 20 black axolotls being sold for about 5$ US.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back