Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Using leaves from outside?

Red Eft14

Reaction score
I heard that people take leaves from outside and put it in there newts tank.I want to know how to make the leaves safe for my newts.And I don't plan on putting the leaves in water since the water will turn brown.Just going to put it in when my newts are in the terrestrial stage.Thanks.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people do this. I do this. I just grab up dry ones and put them in the tank. If there are no pesticides being used in the area and they look OK, that's my criteria. Maybe others have other criteria and can add.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I freeze leaves for 48 hours prior to use, but that´s the only meassure i take.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
You could dip them into some boiling salt water for about 20 seconds then rinse and dry.

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help.But I rather treat them because my trees in front of my house are sparyed every spring/summer.

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't risk using leaves that are sprayed with chemicals, even if you treat them. Amphibians are extremely sensitive to chemicals, especially pesticides and herbicides. It is best to go find some leaves somewhere that chemicals haven't been used.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
You won't be able to wash off the chemicals. Go collect them from the woods or local park were they do not spray.

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Yeah I live no wear near the woods but I'll buy some leaves at the reptile expo when I go(since they got leaf litter for posien dart frogs).Thanks for the help though.

Molch

Reaction score
I use willow leaves from tall willow bushes around my house. The species are Salix lanata, Salix pulchra and Salix glauca. I collect them in winter when they are dry and frozen. I use them in all my terrestrial setups for newts, earthworms, isopods, and white worms. They do really well and the substrates stay healthy, alive and a-crawl with small critters for a long long time...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1