Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wildtype Color Change!

franktank

Reaction score
After my leucistic axolotl, Frankie, got sick (she has since recovered) Gunther changed color! At first it really freaked me out because Frankie had just gotten some skin irritation and the sudden gold patches on what I thought was a melanoid really freaked me out. But their old owner said it was fine and that his wildtype changed color sometimes as well. I did some more research and found out Gunther was a wildtype. The pictures don't do her justice, but I'll try to get some better ones. The second photo is before her color change.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 446
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 307
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 328
  • pphoto 2.JPG
    pphoto 2.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 340

SimoneB

Reaction score
It is very common for wildtype axolotls to change color. Actually i think every wildtype axolotl tends to become darker with time. My wild axolotls were literally covered on gold flecks when they were younger but now they are slowly getting darker/disappearing :D

Genny

Reaction score
So beautiful! I love the change, reminds me of Mrs Crusoe, my Bristlenose Plec, she changes colour all the time from light mottled brown to jet black. I love Gunther, the patches almost look like tree lichen, so wonderful! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!