Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl fell on the floor!! Please help!!

axolover703

Reaction score
Hi there. So about 2 days ago I was transferring my axolotl, Tobiko, into a separate container of water outside of his tank so that I could clean it. But, he got freaked out, and ended up squirming out of my hand and falling about 2-3 feet onto the carpet. I picked him up right away and put him in the water. He seemed alright, he was still moving fine and his limbs didn't look damaged. I couldn't see any visible wounds. Although it's possible that he's bruised and that I can't see it because he's a melanoid. As of today, his condition has only worsened. My axolotls usually don't move much at all after being transported out of the tank and will end up shedding, so during their recovery period (which is usually about 3 days) I make sure to do at least a 50 percent water change every other day or so. But this time was different. My other axolotl, Andrew, is recovering fine, as he has become a bit more responsive and is eating. Tobiko however, is not doing so well. He's completely frozen. He's not moving at all, and I mean, AT ALL. His mouth is hanging open and his tail is very curled. He's not even flicking his gills. He won't eat either. He was moving around a ting bit the day after the accident, but now he seems.....dead. I'm really freaked out, I'm hoping that he's just stunned from the incident and will be fine in a few days, but what if he's injured? What if it's worse than being injured? I don't want to lose my baby. It's as if he's in some kind of coma. I don't know what to do. Please help me.

axolover703

Reaction score
Additionally, I noticed this morning that his jaw seems to be swollen, it's most likely injured, and I'm not sure what to do about that

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello

That is rather unfortunate, may i suggest visit to the vet if possible.

Meanwhile lower the water temperature 11-15C. Do a big 70% water changes daily. Can you post a picture of it?

And obligatory what are your water parameters like?
PH
Ammonia,
Nitrite and Nitrate
Temp

axolover703

Reaction score
Never mind. Tobiko passed today. Thank you for your help nonetheless :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!