Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My wild type doesn’t eat

YepYep

Reaction score
Hi everyone I think I have a big problem with my wild type Axolotl: eh doesn’t eat from about eleven days... The last meal was only 7 maggots (without the rostrum). The leucistic one eat every two days two heart worms without any problem

I have a thank that’s about 26 gallons for the two Axolotls, the parameters are:

PH 7.5
DH 5
NO2 -

The filter is an Askoll Pratiko 100 and I don’t have any problem with the water movement cause I have two rocks that blocks the water flow. I have some plants (Microsorum, Egeria) and two coconuts, nothing that can hurts the Axolots skin, and I have a very thin sand for the substrate.

I don’t know what to do. Thanks for your help

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello,

You are missing the most important water parameters, you ph is good but what about:

Ammonia
Nitrite - is this zero or missing from your post?
Nitrate

May I ask what is your temperate like as well? And a picture of the axolotl in question :) Quick google of the filter shows that is canister filter for up to 100l of aquariums which should be sufficient for 26g.

If you can test these would give you better picture of what might be going into the tank. And remember when in doubt do a water change! Until we know better you have nothing to loose if you do more partial water changes.

You may offer some frozen blood-worms, alto they are not best or most nutritional food i have found it that mine can hardly resist them so its worth a try in your situation.

Would not use it as main source of food but in this case any food is better than no food.

YepYep

Reaction score
Sorry, Nitrite is zero, and I need to buy Ammonia and Nitrate test cause I have terminated the strips...

Temperature is 18º C

And this is him
5A8FF4F8-7BDA-4638-87BF-BE80A3D21B54.jpg
A13FBADC-BE1F-4313-AA50-6AF7AD42EE0A.jpg
7B93C616-111A-4522-A2DB-308F87CFF40B.jpg
BF6DD7CB-8E60-4309-879F-B2D42200B48D.jpg
3160203F-A418-4A82-9F7F-197EB1394AA7.jpg

Now I’m going to buy some bloodworms, and tomorrow I gol to test my Ammonia and Nitrate
For now, I need to isolate him to another little thank to see if he defecates? What do you think?

Thank you for your precious help, let me know.

Last edited:

YepYep

Reaction score
One strange thing that’s doing is taking some air frequently, the other is not doing this...

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Axie does not seems to bad , its bit thin but yeah. Do you have enough air / water agitation in your tank for good oxygen levels? Do a water changes in meantime btw make sure you use something like API Prime for your tap water as well

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1