Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungal problem! Help!!

Nickert

Reaction score
Hey all,

My axies have been having a bit of a fungal issue. One of them is currently in the fridge with 10-15 min salt baths 3 times a day and the others are still in their tank. My water temp has been around 72 and I realize this is WAY too high for them. Which is what I'm guessing caused the fungus. Does anyone have tips on cooking my water? Also can someone PLEASE help me save my little axie. He lost half his body weight and only moves if I touch him. Never done salt baths before.

Water parameters are all good but one axie is on his deathbed and others are perfectly healthy, however they are showing little white/yellow spots on their coloring.

kcoscia

Reaction score
I find that fixing the water issues usually allow the axolotls to heal from a fungal problem themselves (in a non extreme fungal situation)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
For water cooling you can use a chiller (expensive option but some times necessary depending on temps where you live), a fan over the water or frozen water bottles for a quick solution :)

You may want to look into fridging them as well, may help with healing

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1