Illness/Sickness: Fuzz on gills

shoegal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mariah
I recently purchased 2 juvenile golden axolotls. I have had them for about 3 weeks. They are each in their own 6 gallon tank with a filter and micro chiller. The filter is designed for the tank, so there is not an excessive current. I know that this can be stressful for axolotls. There is no substrate on the tank bottom to prevent gravel ingestion. The water stays at 68 degrees and the tanks are fully cycled. I add 40% Holtfreter's solution to the water.

I test the water regularily and there is no ammonia, nitrite, and hardly any nitrate. I have had aquariums for years, and I realize the importance of testing water parameters. I change 20% of the water daily to keep it fresh & clean. The water always remains a bit cloudy in spite of my diligent cleaning. :mad:

I feed my axolotls frozen blood worms every day and vacuum up the uneaten food. They have very healthy appetites and go crazy for the worms. They are growing at an impressive rate, and their bodies are really filling out.

Here is the issue: 2 days ago I noticed a bit of white fuzz on their gills. At first I thought it was debris that had gotten stuck on their feathery gills. I do have a bit of similar-looking white fuzz growing on the silk plants in their tank. I have been all over the web trying to figure out what is going on. I have been unable to determine if it is a bacteria, fungus, or nothing to worry about.

I would love to get some insight into this situation. I really love these little guys and want to keep them happy & healthy.

Can you post up some photos please?

Sometimes mouldly detritus or uneaten food can get lodged on the axie's gills. That would seed an infection and can lead to widespread fungal mycosis. Therefore, cleaning the tank regularly by siphoning up detritus is more than just to maintain good water parameters.

If it is indeed fungus, it is best to use a salt bath treatment followed by fridging.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back