Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma Gracile for Christmas

DosJax 12XU

Reaction score
Hello,

I just found two a.gracile in a recently purchased christmas tree. These two boys are pretty big but being a resident in San Diego, California, I feel pretty bad for having them, but even worse knowing this species is being sent into the state in the pine trees. I knew of one family last year who found a small individual, and they decided to keep it as a pet. I thought that it was simply an isolated incident, but this year I have two and I'm hearing similar stories. I recently found out that many home improvement stores and garden centers get their pine trees from Oregon during the holidays - explaining alot for me!

Although it may just be my CA ignorance to keeping any ambystomatids, but I don't think this species is common in the pet trade. I am aware that many people (mainly members of Caudata.org) keep this species. So, are these salamanders usually attained unintentially by simply celebrating christmas (or any other reason for purchasing a dead pine tree)?

ambertastic

Reaction score
I found one outside of my dorm last year (I live in Washington so it wasn't such an extreme journey). I kept him for a few weeks but I wasn't sure if I was benefiting or hurting him (never saw him eat) so I wished him the best and sent him back on his way. But since you're in San Diego, I guess your options are more limited. I kept him in a bin with cocofiber to burrow in and fallen leaves to hide under. Threw some worms in there.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Your right, this species is definitely not that common in the pet trade, at least not as popular as A. tigrinum, A. maculatum, or even A. opacum.

Too bad I couldn't ever get salamanders in my trees when I was able to get them. All I ever found was a dead squirrel.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is amazing, and really cool! they are beautiful salamanders. I never heard of finding salamanders in Xmas trees. It's almost a reason to believe in Santa again.

DosJax 12XU

Reaction score
Well I'm definately buying a fake tree next year. Not that they are a burden, just unexpected. I have them set up, they both ate some roaches today, and they actually have enough differences for me to beleive that they are actually a pair. I took an old vivarium I was originally growing plants in for some of my adult dart frogs and took out the plants and let the gracile take over. It looks like the frogs will have to wait, but at least they end up with lush 20 gallon vivariums.

dane_zu

Reaction score
Where did you find it on the tree exactly?? I find it hard to believe a salamander would take residence in a pine tree....unless it was laying on the ground for some time....

lexmiller

Reaction score
Okay...first off the Wandering Salamander lives in the canopy of redwood trees so why couldn't a salamander hide in a thickly branched christmas type tree? Serious question...not sarcastic.

Secondly...I think it might be a good idea for those of us living in California to go to our local tree lots and see if we can find anymore...perhaps write to the DFG and see what can be done about the destruction of the A. gracile habitat.

Also to save these salamanders from possibly being flushed, dryed out, or beaten to death by a house cat.

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Hey Lexmiller,
I think the wandering salamander lives in dense patches of detritus matter found on large redwood branches and feeds off the insects up there. I dont think "christmas sized" trees would have ability to support that kind of microecology. I would think it was from the trees being bundled up and left on the ground for long periods of time. I would imagine that a on a deforested tree farm the slamaders would run for any available cover. Just my theory. But Im a little upset that Ive never had a salamander in my christmas tree before (jelous!!!!).

DosJax 12XU

Reaction score
Where did you find it on the tree exactly?? I find it hard to believe a salamander would take residence in a pine tree....unless it was laying on the ground for some time....

That's a really good question, I don't know. They had fallen onto the bed of the truck from the tree. I did find them beneath the tree when I moved it, but I can't imagine how they manage to hang in there. I would think that when the trees are cut down by the thousands, they would have to be left on the ground in huge piles for at least one night (if not longer). Perhaps, without the shade from the trees, the sun dries the ground faster and the salamnders move under (and inside of) the pine trees.

I'm shrugging my shoulders too here...

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
typically to ship trees to a lot they bind the branches up with wire and are stacked in a pile to be shipped on a flatbed... So the branches are pulled close to the tree's trunk, making it more compact

I can see salamanders finding these piles of timber and greenery to be very nice, humid places to hide. I would guess that they crawled in there when they were waiting to be shipped

Once it got to SOCAL I'd bet they hung in the trees because it's the safest, moistest place they had... until they found the bed of a pick up....

Very interesting and a very cool xmas gift...

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I have heard of snakes and spiders making long trips in the bottom of flower pots sent to Depot and places like that but a salamander is new to me. Pull your plants out and look in the bottom of the pot before you buy. I personally brought home a green Anole on a plant once.

Markgilst

Reaction score
That reminds me of when I found pacific tree frog tadpoles in an aquatic plant pot! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1