Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising morphed spotteds?

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Hey All,
Need some advice on caring for metamorphed Spotteds ( A. maculatum). They are between a week to 2 days out of the water. They are being kept in shoe box containers with damp paper towel and plenty of hides. Tried feeding 1 week crickets and bean beetle. They don't appear to be eating. Temps at 65F. Any one with experience feel free to chime in.
Cheers
Newtzoo

FRANCOIS

Reaction score
Provide them with very good hiding spots, keep placing food in their set up that they can eat, they will hunt at 4am while u are asleep.... they are shy!

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Directly post metamorphosis, some individuals will refuse to eat. Continue to encourage feeding.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I have fed spotted morphs clumps of Black worms and white worms just after morphing. Mine didn't eat right away took them about a week to start feeding. Just put the clumps of worms right next to and in front of their heads. placeing the cork hides back over them after placing the worm in front of them can help make the feel secure and they will start eating. Just lift it up after 20-30 seconds and look to see it they are chomping down. Bean beetles are hard and I my morphs would spit them out they did however start eating them when they grew a little larger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Thanks guys! We have lots of black worms to give. I also gave some D. melanogaster and they appear to be eating that. I saw poop in several of the tubs so they must be eating something. Its good to know they dont eat for a while post metamorphosis, I was wondering if that was the case.
Thanks again.
Tyler

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1