The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 6th July 2018   #1
Elleart75
(Elleart75)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Elleart75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Hi and help please.

I have been battling for 6 months with my two girls. Itís a really long story. They were both sick by whilenonw recovered well and gain weight and gills back, the other girl has struggled to gain weight and gills and fully recover. I have finally cycled the tank and I put them in but the nitrates went up alarmingly after the first day. So I took them out and did a partial change and noticed the ph was very low. So I added coral to the filter and the ph came up and the GH too. Back in they went. But then the struggling girl crashed again and then the other one started going down hill. So they are in a furan tub but theyíre not happy. Iíve done everything humanly possible to help them. You name it Iíve done it. Iím at a loss. Iíve taken out the fake grass and the drift wood (nitrates dropped after taking out the wood as it went up again). GH has dropped now too. Iíve done tea baths, salt baths, aquari cycline furan primes fresh water tubs, everything. Please help me I donít know what to do now. Thank you. Click image for larger version

Name:	5C395DBB-42F9-40DE-93EA-9212284D2599.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	53694

Click image for larger version

Name:	1EEC4B18-9DF7-458A-A671-22526CEEC188.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	460.3 KB
ID:	53695

Elleart75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018   #2
Isabella
(Dolphinlover55)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 21
Comments: 2
Rep: Dolphinlover55 has shown reliable knowledgeDolphinlover55 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Hi and help please.

Oh no! I'm so sorry about your axies! I'll do my best to try and help you out. Do you know what caused the sickneses in the first place? And what were your axies symptoms then and now? Have you taken them to a vet yet?

Old 6th July 2018   #3
Elleart75
(Elleart75)

Nationality:
Wink Re: Hi and help please.

Unfortunately there are no vets anywhere near me that will even look at them.
And Iím embarrassed to say that itís our ignorance that started it as we knew nothing of axies and no around here does. The pet shops are mostly lacking in accurate information. I just really want to help them. Iím posting on all the forums and putting up with a lot of mean comments in effort to help them. Iíve done everything. I am going to try getting the tap and tank water tested at a pool shop and see if that says anything

Old 6th July 2018   #4
Isabella
(Dolphinlover55)

Nationality:
Rep: Dolphinlover55 has shown reliable knowledgeDolphinlover55 has shown reliable knowledge

What are your axies symptoms or sickness? If your not sure, there is a chart at the bottom of this page that gives the symtoms, cause and potential treatment- https://axolotlcity.com/axolotl-illn...and-treatment/

Last edited by Dolphinlover55; 6th July 2018 at 17:45. Reason: Incorrect spelling
Dolphinlover55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2018   #5
Elleart75
(Elleart75)

Nationality:

They look like they have ammonia burns but it’s not that as ammonia has always been zero (my master test kit is not out of date) I don’t handle them a lot either so it not that. I always wash when I do anything around the axies. It’s not from chemicals. They are red and veiny. Ines gills are very dark very bark while the other isn’t. The tail is quite dark too. Also nitrate is sitting at 20 but I am going to do another change and see if it will go lower. But from the chart I’ve got it’s within perameters.

Old 7th July 2018   #6
Isabella
(Dolphinlover55)

Nationality:

Are they eating properly and swimming normaly? What are your water temperatures at? You may want to try just leaving them alone for a while and see how they do. If it is amonnia burn, then once you fix your water parameters they should start healing. Have you tried adding almond leaves to your water?

Old 7th July 2018   #7
Isabella
(Dolphinlover55)

Nationality:

I would also reccomend separating your two axies for now until they heal completely if you have not already done so. It helps to reduce stress.

Dolphinlover55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2018   #8
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information

Wow he really is red! Have you tried fridging? What test kit are you using (liquid or strips)? What dechlorinator are you using?
Sorry you have had people abuse you. I'll try and help as well, maybe one of the vets on here will jump in with a suggestion.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help a member out, sick axie, very sick axies