Question: Novo Lotl pellets?

Citronella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, so I bought some axolotl pellets on eBay the other day and have been feeding them to Randall for about a week now I believe, having previously fed him daily on small earthworms or slugs (they were all I had access to for about a month). Anyway, I felt he was underweight as he is a year old and his body wasn't as wide as his head from a birds eye view which I've heard is a good guide line to follow, but despite how many live critters I fed him this didn't seem to change. I decided to buy these sinking pellets online and since he has been eating them he seems to have gained weight impressively and has very obviously filled out, so I am assuming they are good for him but in all honesty, I wouldn't be able to look at the nutritional values myself and tell you if they are good or bad in any way so that's what I wanted to find out today. Does anyone else feed these to their axolotls and what is everyone's opinions of them? I am so glad he has gained weight as I did feel he didn't look as full and chunky as other axolotls online and he seems to LOVE the pellets! He gets super excited when he sees or hears me pick up the tub and floats his front end upwards as he waits.
Anyway, the pellets I bought are marketed towards smaller sized axolotls (8-20cm in length, Randall is probably around 15cm long) and the pellets themselves are only 3mm in length. On the packaging it says that it is designed to be food that is suited to the nutritional requirements of axolotls (guessing this means to be used as a staple food) and that it is comprised of freshwater protein from trout, gammarus and shrimps with a protein to fat ratio of 5:1 for balanced growth. In addition, it claims that there are vitamins as well as 4% spirulina included which are supposed to strengthen immunity to disease.
The guideline of how much and when to feed just says the standard of feeding as much as the animal will accept every 1-2 days within a 30 minute period and it says to remove any uneaten food after one hour at least.
In terms of what it is made of, it says that the composition is:
trout meal (39%), gammarus (10%), shrimp meal (10%), wheat germs, wheat meal, wheat gluten, octopus meal, spirulina (4%) rice meal, fish oil.
In terms of analytical contents, it says there is:
54% protein, 12% fat content, 2% raw fiber and 10% crude ash.
So what does everyone think? Are these considered a good option as a staple diet for axolotls? Thanks for any help or advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back