Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temporary Home For Axolotl While Tank Cycles?

CrypticShinobi

Reaction score
Hello guys, I want to save this little Axolotl from the pet store, if hes still there next time I go. Though I will not have enough time to properly cycle his tank (Seeing as I'll have to buy a new tank) I'm just wondering if he'll do fine in a little plastic tub with some sand, water and daily water changes while his/her tank is cycled..

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong category, I'm still new here.

ShrimpShepherd

Reaction score
If that's what you plan to do, why not just do that in your tank? There's really no difference besides the water becoming toxic at a faster and less stable way, which is actually more stressful for axolotls than having a bigger tank that you do water changes in. If you have doubt, just buy a **** ton of hornworts or java moss, and toss them in the tank.

Tye

Reaction score
You can do in tank cycling, you just have to be really on top of water changes and testing. Especially if it's a small axolotl. During the spikes expect to maybe even do two water changes a day. I've had nitrites spike above 5ppm before. While older, larger, axolotls might take a spike better, small ones might not.
Using Prime during cycling will help make the nitrites less toxic, but it can throw false results on your ammonia liquid test, depending on the type of test you use.
In tank cycling will also take a bit longer because of all the water changes you'll be doing. Expect it to take over a month. Just carefully monitor your water parameters and temperature. I did in tank cycling with feeder fish and it took about a month and half to cycle my 20 gallon long tank. I also used some bottled bacteria, Stability, but I'm not sure if it helped or not. Adding some live plants will definitely help and they can help manage your nitrate levels when your tank is established.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1