Looking for help

Lynzi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just today while feeding my axolotle I noticed tiny tiny tadpole like things swimming around his filter. Tones of them!!!! They have a round dot of a head and a little tail and swim so fast I cannot even suck them up with the turkey baster I use to spot clean the tank. I have no live plants, have only been feeding frozen blood worms and I have one ghost shrimp in there, which has been in the tank for months, I’m actually shocked he’s still alive. Where could there tadpoles have come from? What could they possibly be and if I cannot get them out will they do any harm?

Thank you in advance for your help with this puzzle!

Hm my first thought would be detritus worms, but in my tanks they have pretty much stayed on/in the substrate. If you're able to can you get a photo or video of them?
Where is the tank kept? Could it be mosquito larvae? I get them in our pond outside all the time.

Unless they happen to be axolotl larvae, you won't get them identified without a picture.

I have an inquiring mind, field guides within reach and very little to do this evening. If you can get pictures I will see if I can find anything out.

Thank you for all the offers of help, I was having trouble logging back into the site, finally got it! After a few days the little swimmers got a bit bigger and I was able to get them all out with a turkey baster. I tried to get a picture but they were so tiny and always moving so my camera would always focus on something else and even I couldn’t see them in the pictures! I don’t see what they could have been but the water parameters were always normal and they didn’t seem to bother my axolotle.

Hopefully they never come back!

I don’t see how they could be axolotle larvae as we only have 1 axolotle and he/she is almost 3 years old. Unless some sort of bug got in the house and layed eggs in the tank (grose!!!)

Once again thank you all, really appreciate your interest in helping!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back