Some advice on my set up and health of my Axolotls?

Kristenna

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, I am new to Axolotl keeping and would love to get some advice on keeping these magnificent creatures. I currently house my two Axolotl's in a 40 gal Breeder tank. I had it cycled for a couple weeks with a fluval hang on filter that I use for my Jack Dempsey. Before my Axolotl's arrived I put a 60 gal sponge filter in for low flow of water I currently don't run any lights except for the picture obviously. I have a set of 4 fans that run above the aquarium to keep the temperature at 64-67 degrees Fahrenheit. I am using fine sand as a substrate from Carib sea I rinsed the sand many times before putting it in. I have two other aquarium's so I am familiar with the parameters needed for Axolotl's and all seems great there. When my Axolotl's arrived they were a tad smaller than I anticipated being around 3-4 inches was worried about limbs being bitin off and what not. They are eating every day bloodworms and I have tried with no success cut up night crawlers. I would love to hear some advice or suggestions from other experienced keepers.

I have recently ordered some carnivorous pellets
A tank divider
And a sponge to possibly use on a hang on filter if needed in the future

I am currently using a feeding dish inside the aquarium.

Attachments

• IMG_5818.jpg
    IMG_5818.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5848.jpg
    IMG_5848.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5864.jpg
    IMG_5864.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5829.jpg
    IMG_5829.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5868.jpg
    IMG_5868.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5808.jpg
    IMG_5808.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 110
sounds like a good set up....i do note that their gills look like they're curling forward in the pictures there, which is a sign of stress....is that something that's happening a lot? If so, is there a current in the tank or anything along those line? direct light?

re food...it could be, and I don't know how big your nightcrawlers are so this is just me throwing things at the wall and seeing if they stick, but they could be a bit big for them even cut up. If they're eating bloodworms right now and they're bellies are the width of their head they should be fine, keep trying with the nightcrawlers every now and again and eventually they will probably go for them.

You're sure of the parameters and that the tank is fully cycled?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back