The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 11th July 2018   #1
Newtothis33

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Newtothis33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Long toed salamander help

Hi, I live In Washington state and Iím new to amphibians and seeking some knowledge. I found a baby salamander in my koi pond while cleaning it. It was in larvae stage gills and all, I put It in a small cricket tank but I read Somewhere they need at least 20 gallons so I bought a 29 gallon tank. When I put it in the new tank it had a lot of water (since I wasnt Sure if it was aquatic) then a couple days later itís gills were gone! Freaking out, not wanting it to die I did Massive research and found out it went into metamorphosis and it was actually a long toed salamander. Iím in the process of completely rearranging the terrarium to fit the long toed salamander lifestyle (moss, coconut husk substrate, wood, rocks and a water area) . My girlfriend wants to name it but I have no idea how to determine sex? Can anyone help? And possible tips for best care for this little guy/girl?

Newtothis33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Long toed salamander help

It's probably way too young to determine sex.
HEre is an info sheet
https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/A...dactylum.shtml

YOu can care for them like other ambystomids.
https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystomatidae.shtml

Good luck!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2018   #3
Newtothis33

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Newtothis33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Long toed salamander help

Thank you for your help!

Newtothis33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help newts salamander, help salamander, long toed, long toed salamander, salamander, salamander care