Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking for info

cheftim

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm really here to just get some general information on some Newts that been showing up around my place lately. From the research I've done they have a toxic secretion, bad because my dog bit one. Fortunately he didn't get sick, I'd just hate to have him eat one or something like that. The first one I found was in the yard next to the house and my latest find was in the basement. We took on some water during the rain this week and when I went to take a look around there he was:eek:. my initial thought was that it had to be to cold for them here (South Dakota, USA) in the winter. Guess not!! I took a few pictures of the first one and then took both of them out to the wood pile out back. I hope that was a good place to return them to. Thanks for any info I may be able to gleen from you, Tim

Newt_3.JPG

Newt_1.JPG

The nick in his tail is were the dog bit him, good thing they grow back:eek:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Tiger salamanders!

They're not terribly toxic. But it's bad for the salamander if the dog eats it.

These guys will be active up until it starts freezing.

cheftim

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie, I took a look in the Tiger specific forum and it is loaded with info. Now I'm kind of thinking one or two of these might make a good office critter:uhoh:. Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!