Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sore tail

Cheryl2203

Reaction score
Hi
I've just noticed that one of my axies has a sore tail. I'm not sure if its a bacteria or something but it looks as though his tail has been damaged and a chunk has gone! there is now just a fuzzy bit of what looks like his tail hanging off. I'm not sure if he's damaged his tail in some way or its something else. there also appears to be little red blotches where the damage is.
Please help!
Many thanks!!!

kclinton

Reaction score
Can you post a pic by chance? Is his whole tail gone or a small bit?

Cheryl2203

Reaction score
Hi, Yeah i'll try and get a photo of it. Its just a little chunk at the end of his tail.

Cheryl2203

Reaction score
Sort of, I've tried to get a pic but its still a bit blurry. Can u see it at the top of his tail at the back? I've tried to attach the pic. Hope it works.

Attachments

• 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 236

kclinton

Reaction score
Sorry I can't tell if the white stuff is old skin that is going to fall off or if it is fungus. If it is fungus you need to star salt baths. With good care and time it will be ok and grow back.

Cheryl2203

Reaction score
Yeah it is had to tell by the photo. It kind of looks like to skin has been ripped and gone fluffy. What should i look out for to check its not fungus? Are there any specific signs?

kclinton

Reaction score
White fluffy stuff or stuff that look like cotton. I think you should stat salt baths.

Cheryl2203

Reaction score
i think it looks more like cotton than fluffy but still looks a bit fury.
If I use salt baths, how long, how much salt etc do u suggest?
Never done it before.

kclinton

Reaction score
2-3 teaspoons per liter. Use aquarium salt not table salt. No more than 10 min. at a time twice a day. Do the salt bath till a couple of days after it has gone. Use a new batch of water every time. The fungus/old flap of skin may fall off and cause it to bleed it's normal. Most axie don't like salt baths so do it in some thing with a lid. It's skin may look red try salt baths for less time.

Cheryl2203

Reaction score
great! Thanks very much, i'll see how he goes. Do I use tank water to put the salt into or fresh water?

kclinton

Reaction score
You could use take water never thought of that . I like to use bottle water. Just to make shure :) you dont add the salt to the whole tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!