Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange sore.

Emily

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We've only had our Axie for two weeks. So very new.

Everything has been going great until yesterday I noticed a strange sore on Lottie's nose, just above her lip. Water is fine except for the temp, Can't get it below 24 degrees (Don't know what to do when we get a 40 degree day in summer, any suggestions).

The sore looks like an ulcer. I had the thought she may have hurt herself while playing :p. Bumped into something possibly. Has anyone seen anything like this before or have any thoughts about what to do to help her.

Thanks
Em

Saspotato

Reaction score
Well firstly you must get your temperature lower. Anything above 24C will quickly kill your axolotl. Some cooling suggestions are:
- put bottles of frozen dechlorinated water in the tank and rotate them to keep your temperature lower.
- keep your axie in the fridge during the hot periods. make sure the container is covered to block out light, the temperature is above 5C and you do 100% daily water changes with dechlorinated water
- move the tank to a shadier part of your house
- buy a chiller, but this is quite expensive
- check this out for more suggestions: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Basically your tank will heat up to ambient room temperature over time, so if you keep your axolotl in a place with ambient temperature above 24C you will have difficultly maintaining a cool tank.

What exactly are your other parameters? Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and PH? And is your axolotl showing signs of stress as well as the sore? (gills pointing forward, white patches, curled tail tip, food refusal?)

With the sore, it could be from a bump for sure. But it's hard to tell without seeing a picture. Are you able to post one up?

Emily

Reaction score
I will attempt to put a photo up ( not completely computer savvy). First thing I did was check PH, Amonia and nitrate. All normal. She's showing no other signs of stress. I'm probably being an overly worried first time mother..... Will definatley try the frozen bottle thing for her tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1