Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cloudy tank but not ammonia

layna

Reaction score
So ive had sand in my tank for a few months now, i also have two pieces of mopani wood, now usually my tank is a little tea coloured because of the wood but recently ive noticed its really cloudy and if you look in from the side, you cant see to the other end.
Ive tested the water parameters and they are all fine so its not an ammonia bloom or anything like that, but i cant seem to get rid of it.
I washed the sand before it went in and it has been fine for months, its just suddenly gotten cloudy.
Ive also tried 50% water changes a couple of days apart so as not to cause my cycle to crash and that hasnt helped at all.
Has anyone had the same problem or can anyone offer a solution?

Cahand

Reaction score
Mine started to do the same thing and no one is replying. I think we just have to wait awhile and let it settle down
The water changes sometimes can make it worse, so do not do them too often.
I think after a while the sand will settle.

FX1C

Reaction score
What type of tests are you using?
Strip or Liquid?
Please post the readings you are getting for
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate
Ph:
Temp:

Please post a pic of the whole tank
It can sometimes help for working out what could be the problem.

Have you rinsed you filter & media well in the water you're removing? Sometimes sand can work it's way into the impeller and mess with the filter..

<3 >o_o< <3

layna

Reaction score
My tank was fully cycled and never had nitrAte readings higher than 40ppm.
I had sand but id thoroughly cleaned it before putting it in and i have mopani wood, but the water wasnt tea colour, it was just cloudy.
It hadnt always been cloudy but around 2 months after it was set up, it went cloudy, i left it thinking it would sort itself out as it wasnt a water quality issue and motnhs later it was STILL cloudy.
I bought a new filter that has carbon and two types of sponge in it, and after around 3 or 4 days, i came home after work and the water was crystal clear! So im putting it down to my new filter solving the problem :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!