Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Really frustrated now

wazasunrider

Reaction score
I have my second axie in a tank with sand substrate, a side filter and some places to hide for him, I have some feeder guppies in there for him but judging by the look of him he will be dead by morning. so far i can't keep one alive, I'm not sure what i am doing wrong, the water tested ok in the home test kit i have.

just really aggravated that i have had 2 of them die this year.

Possum63

Reaction score
Hello

Sorry to hear of your loss. Can you post your water parameters? What test kit do you use? What dechlorinator do you use? What symptoms does your lotl have that makes him/her so sick? What size and how old is your lotl? How long have you had him/her? How big is your tank? Have your feeders been quarantined? What else do you feed your lotl?

Give us some more information and we will try our best to help. Some photos of your sick lotl would be helpful too :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Please post your parameters, temperature, a picture of your axie and set-up, details of where you get your axies from, what you feed them (other than guppies) etc. We can't help you without more information.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Do you quarantine the guppies before you put them in? Also, how strong is the current coming from your filter? Axies don't like a strong current.

And what's your cleaning routine like?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1