Sick axolotl, mouth sore?

AR

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys, I have an axolotl who in the past few days has develop a sore on his mouth. No idea what it could be or how to treat it, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have attached 2 images, 1 of him with the wound and 1 before.

Attachments

• 20140531_005050_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20140531_005050_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,184
  • 20140102_175352_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20140102_175352_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,169
It doesn't look too bad, keep offering food and perhaps cut the food smaller so he doesn't have to use as much force/effort. With good parameters it should heal on it's own. Keep an eye out for fungus. Adding Indian almond leaves can help soothe the area. If he does not eat for a while perhaps a vet is needed.

Thanks guys, nice to know the nearest vet is only 30mins away! The redness has gone down now after a couple of tri-sulfur treatments, you can now clearly see that it is a split or cut, thinking he may have banged his mouth?? Still a garbage guts and doesn't seem too bothered. Will just have to keep an eye on it.

Hadn't heard of tri-sulphur for an axolotl but apparently it is "not acutely toxic" to amphibians. Still, it does seem to be overkill in this case. Indian almond leaves, clean water and close observation for fungal infection or any worsening of the wound site are all that should be required. My advice would be: use any form of chemical treatment on an axolotl only with great caution, after lots of advice, and when there is no other alternative.

Hi everyone, I seem to have exactly the same problem - though I know what caused it: my little boy got bitten by a mealworm (super worm) I was stupid enough to buy them as a treat. Anyway, he has a cut/sore on a lower lip, looks exactly like AR's axie had; my question is - is there a way to speed up his healing? He eats well and doesn't seem bothered at all, but I'm just wary it may get infected. Also, I put Indian almond leaves in, how many would you recommend for a 110l of water? Anything else I should/shouldn't do?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back